December 14, 2017, 10:10:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Use VOIP to call US  (Read 20769 times)
bobd

« on: January 28, 2016, 08:31:30 am »

Hi,

I am new to OBI so my question may be basic.

I am in the US and my OBI is set up to use GV (outbound) and Callcentric (for 911 & CNAM)(inbound). If I am travelling to Europe or elsewhere is it possible to make calls free to the US using OBI, either native or with Android OBITalk? I would make calls while connected to the internet in a hotel. Is this possible?

I should add I am using OBI200 and I do have softphone added to my configuration. I just don't really know what a "softphone" is supposed to mean. :-)

Bob
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:37:55 am by bobd » Logged
drgeoff
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:44:38 am »

Neither GV nor Obitalk have any geographical blocking which would thwart you. But see https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10744.msg70717#msg70717.

A softphone is a VoIP phone implemented as an "app" running on a computer,  tablet or smartphone. All accounts on the Obitalk portal are allocated a 9 digit Obitalk number which can be used with Obion. Obion is available for Android and iOS. No longer available for Windows though you may be able to find it somewhere. Many posters here are not overly impressed with Obion but YMMV.
LTN1

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:38:27 pm »

Hi,

I am new to OBI so my question may be basic.

I am in the US and my OBI is set up to use GV (outbound) and Callcentric (for 911 & CNAM)(inbound). If I am travelling to Europe or elsewhere is it possible to make calls free to the US using OBI, either native or with Android OBITalk? I would make calls while connected to the internet in a hotel. Is this possible?

I should add I am using OBI200 and I do have softphone added to my configuration. I just don't really know what a "softphone" is supposed to mean. :-)

Bob

Assuming you aren't in a country that blocks Google or VoIP calling, you could install the free Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer on your smartphone. It will use your GV number and allow you to call to US numbers for free even if you are overseas (assuming you have WIFI and aren't in a country that blocks the VoIP call).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: