News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Register Failed: No response from server

Started by timnsid15, February 23, 2015, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timnsid15

Every couple of days I get the following error: "Register Failed: No response from server".
Anveo is my provider.  I follow the troubleshooting below (changing the X_UserAgentPort value to 5080, 5081, 5082 etc.) and it gets resolved immediately but then the error occurs again a couple days later.
If anyone can help me figure out why this is happening I would be very grateful.
My setup is DSL modem < Linksys router < Obi 110

"Troubleshooting > Solid GREEN > No outgoing or incoming calls
Are you able to dial **9 222-222-222 to reach the Echo Test Server?

Yes

Please select the type of VoIP service:

I am using a SIP service (e.g. Phonepower, Anveo, Ring.To, OneSuite etc)

Log in to your OBiTALK account and look at your voice service status (e.g. SP1). What is it showing?

Register Failed: No response from server

Click on your OBi device number
    Click on 'OBi Expert Configuration' (bottom of the page)
    Click on 'Enter OBi Expert'
    Under Voice Service, select the SP slot where your service is configured and change to a different value such as 5080 (see screenshot example) for SP1 or 5081 for SP2, and click on 'Submit'. Note: You will need to uncheck OBiTALK Settings and Device Default in order to modify the parameter."

timnsid15

Ok, I came across this and noticed that the SIP checkbox under Application Layer Gateway was checked in my router settings.  I just unchecked it and will monitor and update.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=33.0

Mango

Keep us posted.  If the problem comes back, let us know specifically which Linksys router you have, and if you have third-party firmware on it.

timnsid15

Quote from: Mango on February 23, 2015, 05:06:07 PM
Keep us posted.  If the problem comes back, let us know specifically which Linksys router you have, and if you have third-party firmware on it.

Problem just occurred again.  I have a Linksys E4200 running latest stock firmware version: 2.1.41.162351
I switched from cable to dsl a couple of months ago.  I can't recall if the problem started at that time or not.
Any help would be great.

Edit: I just disabled SIP ALG on my TP Link DSL modem as per: http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=343
So, I'll once again update in a couple days.

Mango

Some thoughts:

- Double NAT could be causing your problem.  If possible, place your modem in bridge mode so that you are only using one router.

- DNS SRV could be a possible workaround for your problem, but requires support from your service provider.  Callcentric and Anveo support it; VoIP.ms does not.  If your service provider does support DNS SRV, please enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy.

- If none of the above is possible or it does not solve the problem, try to increase your RegisterRetryInterval to give what I assume is a corrupted NAT connection time to expire.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find out what this interval is with your router, so it may take some experimenting.  Try to set RegisterRetryInterval to 300.  If that does not work, try 600 or 900.  This will cause the ATA to remain offline for a period of time after failing a registration - but if my guess is correct, it might allow it to auto recover.

If you wish to test my theory without changing settings, you could unplug the network cable from the OBi for various amounts of time, while the problem is happening, and test how long it takes before the OBi is able to re-register following replacement of the network cable.

timnsid15

Thanks Mango!
I'm reading up on Double NAT right now.
Thanks for pointing me in some direction.  I really, really appreciate it.

timnsid15

Quote from: Mango on February 26, 2015, 12:25:45 AM

- Double NAT could be causing your problem.  If possible, place your modem in bridge mode so that you are only using one router.

It seems as though Double NAT was the problem.  I put my modem into bridge mode and entered my isp login details into router and it has been fine since.  Every other device in my network had been working properly so I definitely thought the solution was an Obi setting tweak but obviously it was not.  Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Mango

That is great to hear!  Thanks for the update.

If the problem ever comes back, let us know and we can troubleshoot further.  Hopefully what you did permanently solves it.

sambell

Using stun server also fixed the same problem I had; enter obi expert configuration, service providers, ITSP profile A/B general and enable stun . I used stun.xten.com as a stun server.

Mango

STUN should not be used as it adds an additional point of failure.  If you want to use it anyway, that is fine, just remember to check it if you ever have new problems.