News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

MOS Score

Started by ceg3, January 27, 2016, 02:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceg3

I just noticed pingtest.net also gives a MOS score and doesn't require Java to run it.  I wonder how reliable it is.  It gave me a 4.32 score and if I remember correctly when I held my nose and installed Java for five minutes I ran it at (that site we all have used) can't remember now, I scored 4.29, so maybe the test is trustworthy.

restamp

Is the MOS score for your end of the connection or the far end?

SteveInWA

That test is of little value.  In order to create a true, end-to-end SIP VoIP simulation for an accurate MOS, you need code running on each end.  Note that the pingtest site even explains that you need Java to analyze packet loss.

ceg3

Speaking of Java.  http://goo.gl/JFzvyt  The browser plugin's demise is coming soon.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ceg3 on January 27, 2016, 05:49:46 PM
Speaking of Java.  http://goo.gl/JFzvyt  The browser plugin's demise is coming soon.

Agreed.  For this purpose, some sort of application running on your end will still be necessary, regardless of what sort of runtime is being used.  It could be a standalone, executable application, for example, or perhaps something built with HTML5 and WebRTC.

ceg3

What do you think of the MOS scoring at the Pingtest.net site if run with Java enabled?  It then can check packet loss and give a complete score.

SteveInWA

Well, if you need to run Java anyhow, why not try comparing the test results from the Visualware site with the Pingtest  site and tell us yourself?

ceg3

;D I hear you loud and clear.  May as well skip to the best if you go to the trouble to install Java.  Is it just me or is that old guy in the still frames of the videos on the sign in page kind of what, a bit strange looking, my own appearance not withstanding? :o

SteveInWA

Quote from: ceg3 on January 31, 2016, 07:42:08 PM
Is it just me or is that old guy in the still frames of the videos on the sign in page kind of what, a bit strange looking, my own appearance not withstanding? :o

Ah, the inevitable march of time...at some point, old age may transform even the most handsome man's appearance into that of a child molester.  Heck, just look at Ted Cruz -- he's got a head start at his age.