News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202, both phone line lights light up but only one phone??

Started by UpUpAir, February 03, 2016, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpUpAir

There are 2 phone line lights on the Obi202. Both are lighting up but I only have 1 phone plugged in. I would only expect 1 light to light.

HOWEVER, the phone I have plugged into the back is a Uniden 2-line phone. But I don't have the 2nd line configured in anyway on the Obi Config page.

Could the 2nd light be lighting up because it is a 2 line Uniden phone?  If so, does that mean I can get say a second google voice number and apply to that second line?

thanks

drgeoff

An Obi (or any other ATA) should not be able to distinguish between no phone plugged in and an on-hook phone plugged in.

If both PHONE1 and PHONE2 LEDS are lit when your two line phone is not plugged in, that has nothing to do with the phone.

Getting and using a second GV number is entirely independent of whether you use a two line phone or not.

azrobert

The Phone LED ON means the Primary Line is registered, not a phone plugged in.

You can get another GV account for a 2nd line. You can alternately use your current GV account from Phone port#2 to make simultaneous calls. GV supports multiple calls. If you do this, you should increase MaxSessions on SP1 to 4.

Edit:
Phone Port#1 will support a 2 line phone.

UpUpAir

That is the thing, why is the LINE 2 LED lit when I have not registered the line or otherwise configured it?  Normal behavior for many electronic devices is when you plug something into it, it lights up.  With nothing plugged or set for Phone 2 why does it light up?

When I look at my config page, SP1 is set to GV.  Phone Port configuration is set for Phone 1 and not configured for Phone 2.

Thanks for the 2 responses but I don't think they answer my question.

azrobert

You can access SP1 from Phone Port#2 and the default Primary Line for Phone Port#2 is SP1. Change the Primary Line for Phone Port#2 to SP2 and the LED should go out.

Using your current configuration, dial a number from line#2 on your phone and it should use GV on SP1.