News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Brand new OBiWiFi not accepting default admin username/password - Help?

Started by hepcat72, February 07, 2016, 07:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hepcat72

Hi,

I have had an OBi200 up and running with an OBiBT for a few months now and I'm loving it so much more than my old Dock-N-Talk. For Christmas, I received the OBiWiFi dongle and just today, removed it from the package and tried setting it up - but cannot get past the admin page login...

Before starting, I had the OBi200's ethernet port connected to an old airport extreme (802.11g) that was joining a network created by a newer airport extreme/time capsule.  I don't know if that's relevant, but it was working.  I tried a number of things which I will go into below, but in every case, when I got prompted for the username/password for the OBiWiFi setup page, I would enter admin for the username and admin for the password, and it would always tell me my username/password was incorrect.  See the following screen-cap:

For my first attempt, I started by unplugging the OBiBT from the only USB port and connected both dongles to an unpowered USB hub.  I confirmed that the OBiBT was working by connecting my iPhone to it and then placing a call on a handset using **8.  However, I was unable to see the OBiWiFi_steup network from my computer, so...

For my second attempt, I disconnected the USB hub and connected the WiFi dongle directly to the OBi200's sole USB port.  This time, I saw a blue light appear on the dongle which I did not see before.  I went to my computer and connected to the OBiWiFi_setup network and went to 192.168.10.1.  When I was prompted for a login, I entered the default "admin" username/password as seen in the image above.  The login sheet kept saying that my username/password were incorrect, so...

I figured maybe the ethernet cable was interfering with the WiFi dongle, so I disconnected it, rebooted the OBiBT by removing & plugging back in the power cord.  I turned the wifi on my computer off & on and reconnected to the setup network.  Same login authentication error, so...

I just started trying dumb things like username/password variants & combinations, like "admin/admin", no password, "admin@OBi200", etc..  I tried Chrome.  I tried connecting to obiconnect.com/wifi and tried all the login variants there...

Nothing works.

Did I receive a refurbished dongle with a non-default login setup?  Did my OBi200 somehow auto-configure for the ethernet port and needs to be reset somehow?  Did the USB hub attempt screw something up?

The only thing I haven't tried that I can think of, is I haven't tried restarting my computer...  Anyone have any ideas how I can get past the login sheet?

hepcat72

Well, I tried restarting my computer.  Still no luck.  I even powered the OBi200 down and unplugged the ethernet, plugged in the OBiWiFi, and then powered the OBi200 up.  I also tried Firefox.  I am still unable to get past the login.

hepcat72

OK, I finally figured it out.

Since I had set up the OBi200 before, the password set on obitalk.com for the "Webpage Admin Password" for the OBi200 (without the OBiWiFi dongle) is the same one for the OBiWiFi.  That was not obvious to me.  I assumed that there was a separate admin page for the OBi200 and that the dongle had its own admin page.  So I entered that password, and it worked.

Dummmm-da-dum-dum.

Might be worth putting that in the documentation... for blind instruction-followers like me.

Rob  :P

ScottS

similar prob here. obi302 w/ latest firmware finally got the damn dongle lit after purchasing a new 5G version. I see the OBIwifi setup has good signal. login fails
Fking maddening the dongle comes w/ zero support.
Once after repeatedly plug/unplug and reboots I realized an open new tab and google opened w/o the ethernet plugged in. So I new everything was functional but still the only way to setup wifi is thru the admin/admin which has failed along w/ many guesses.
I hate Obihai. No help at all. I ask intelligent questions and only get form replies back.
I even put the older 2.4G obiwifi back in and finally got the blue light thatone too! 
Now I have 2 obi wifi dongles that function but cant get into setup.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ScottS on February 20, 2018, 08:37:50 PM
similar prob here. obi302 w/ latest firmware finally got the damn dongle lit after purchasing a new 5G version. I see the OBIwifi setup has good signal. login fails
Fking maddening the dongle comes w/ zero support.
Once after repeatedly plug/unplug and reboots I realized an open new tab and google opened w/o the ethernet plugged in. So I new everything was functional but still the only way to setup wifi is thru the admin/admin which has failed along w/ many guesses.
I hate Obihai. No help at all. I ask intelligent questions and only get form replies back.
I even put the older 2.4G obiwifi back in and finally got the blue light thatone too! 
Now I have 2 obi wifi dongles that function but cant get into setup.

The OBi 300/302 models are typically sold to service providers, not to end user / retail customers, although you CAN buy one if you really wanted it.

Was this OBi purchased at retail from an authorized merchant, such as Amazon, Newegg, Fry's etc?

ScottS

I got it new as it was fairly new product.
Have had it a few years I think I got it from Amazon to replace the featureless Grandstream, that Phonepower issued. 

SteveInWA

Since you can't log in to the OBi, you might as well start from scratch, and perform a "paper clip restore".

• Unplug the power and Ethernet cables.  Turn the box upside-down on a flat surface.
  • Straighten a paper clip.  Find the small, round, raised bump on the underside of the OBi with a hole in it.
    This is the reset switch.
  • Insert the paper clip and gently depress the recessed switch until you feel a click.  Continue to hold the switch down with one hand, while you plug in only the power cord with the other hand.  Wait at least 10 seconds, then remove the paper clip.
  • Turn the OBi over, and watch the LEDs blink.  Give it plenty of time to continue the process, then, after it reboots, pull the power plug again.
  • Plug in the Ethernet cable, power cable and phone cable.  Let it boot up.
  • Pick up the phone.  You should hear a dial tone.  Key in ***1 and listen to the voice read out the IP address.
  • Enter that IP address in your web browser.  When the username/password box pops up, enter admin and admin.  You should now be able to go to the WiFi settings, enable the WiFi adapter with a check-mark, and enter the access point information (SSID and WiFi password).  You must remove both of the check marks to the right of the values you need to edit, to enable the field to be edited.
  • You should then be able to unplug power and Ethernet cables, plug in the power cable, let it boot up, and the WiFi connection should be established.