News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice, can make outbound calls but no incoming calls

Started by happiecamper, January 17, 2016, 02:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happiecamper

I just switched from ringto to Google voice and followed the directions to install Google voice. It shows connected and I can make outbound calls but I cannot receive any calls. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Thx

SteveInWA

Read and follow the instructions.  No doubt, you've overlooked one or more steps, like failing to put a check mark next to Google Chat, not signing into the correct Google account, etc.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

happiecamper

YAY!  Changing over to Google Chat instead of Hangouts, and checking the "Forward Calls to Google Chat"  worked!  Now my home phone can receive inbound calls.
Didn't even have to reset my Obi device.

Thanks a bunch.
Mary

Marty1

Hi,

Google Voice works fine on my OBi200 - I only have a problem with incoming calls.

I followed the instructions from the other threads - incoming calls do work but only for about one day.
Then all of a sudden, my phone doesn't ring anymore and I can't see new incoming calls in the "call history"...

To fix this problem, I go to my Google voice settings, uncheck "forward calls to... Google chat", check it again and reboot my OBi200 - then it works again :) - but only for about one day...  :(  ???

If I can fix this problem for one day - how can there be a permanent fix...?

Thanks in advance for your help!

TommyRaton

Marty1

Hi Tommy,

Thank you so much for your reply! I was using the Hangouts Dialer (requires the Hangouts app) on my Android smartphone to use Google Voice from anywhere outside. I just uninstalled the two apps - let's see if this helps...

SteveInWA

Quote from: Marty1 on February 07, 2016, 12:24:54 PM
Hi,

Google Voice works fine on my OBi200 - I only have a problem with incoming calls.

I followed the instructions from the other threads - incoming calls do work but only for about one day.
Then all of a sudden, my phone doesn't ring anymore and I can't see new incoming calls in the "call history"...

To fix this problem, I go to my Google voice settings, uncheck "forward calls to... Google chat", check it again and reboot my OBi200 - then it works again :) - but only for about one day...  :(  ???

If I can fix this problem for one day - how can there be a permanent fix...?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well, to start with, you should have opened your own discussion; your problem has nothing to do with the original poster's issue, which was setup-related.

Your magical solution is also bunk.  It's like repeatedly pressing the "Walk" button at a crosswalk.  Checking and un-checking the Google Chat forwarding destination doesn't do anything.  It's the OBi reboot that is likely fixing it, by forcing a new log-in to the Google Chat service.  The symptom looks like your OBi's Google Chat session is getting disconnected for some reason.  Perhaps you are also  using the Simonics gateway, which can interfere with receiving inbound calls via Chat on the OBi?  Or, you might have a home network issue, like a DHCP lease expiring, or some ISP-related problem.  You'd need to troubleshoot those issues first.

Also, Hangouts operates completely independent of Chat, which is what OBi devices use.  There is nothing wrong with being logged into Hangouts (on as many clients as you wish) at the same time as being logged in on your OBi.

Marty1

I apologize that I didn't open a new topic...

Thank you so much for your reply and for the explanations, Steve!

Unfortunately, I still can't figure out why my OBi's Google Chat session is getting disconnected.  ???
I was using the Simonics gateway but I unlinked it from my Google account - the problem persists.
As my OBi has a static IP, there shouldn't be any DHCP lease problem.
About my ISP - I have no idea ("regular" VoIP services are blocked in my country but Google Voice is working fine).

Any other ideas apart from rebooting?

(If all else fails, I should maybe use a timer switch, as suggested in this thread...)

SteveInWA

Quote from: Marty1 on February 15, 2016, 12:49:38 PM
I was using the Simonics gateway but I unlinked it from my Google account - the problem persists.

You need to completely de-authorize it, not just go "offline".

As my OBi has a static IP, there shouldn't be any DHCP lease problem.
About my ISP - I have no idea ("regular" VoIP services are blocked in my country but Google Voice is working fine).

Well all bets are off, if you're using a VPN to get around the country-imposed restrictions.  It's not going to work continuously.

Marty1

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 15, 2016, 01:34:21 PM
You need to completely de-authorize it, not just go "offline".

Steve, you were completely right! This did the trick!

Five days ago I did the last reboot - and since this day I can receive incoming calls! Thank you so much!!!