News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Intermittently Can't Receive Incoming Calls - OBi200 and Google Voice

Started by DaveF, March 09, 2016, 08:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveF

I have an OBi200 and I am using it with Google Voice.

I can make calls without a problem but sometimes I can't receive calls.  The calls go into google voice mail instead of ringing through to  my phone. (The ringer on my phone is working fine as is everything else with it.) I have followed the directions below for Google Voice.

Troubleshooting > Solid GREEN > Able to make outgoing calls but not receive incoming calls

http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/sg/inc

Sometimes this works and sometimes it does not.  It appears either Google Voice or OBiTalk is having intermittent issues.  Does anyone else have this problem?  What can be done to resolve it?  Thank you.

Dave

DaveF

I think there is something wrong with this OBi200.  It has been on all day and earlier in the day I was able to receive calls then later I was unable to.   I just tried unplugging the power on the OBi200 and then plugged it back in and I was able to receive calls once again.

So it appears to be the device.  Is this something a firmware upgrade would resolve or do I just have a bad device?

restamp

Don't overlook the possibility that the problem could be in your router.  Before I acquired an OBi, I used to use an old Linksys PAP-2T ATA for my VoIP communications, and it would behave in a similar way:  It would always stay up for a day or so and then lose connectivity with my VoIP provider.  Sometimes it would last a few days before failing.  Without going into the nitty-gritty details here, I finally was able to prove the problem was due to a bug in the UDP NAT table portion of my router.  Upgrading the router resolved the problem.

Does rebooting your router also solve the problem temporarily?  If so, does your router support SIP ALG?  If so, turn it off.  If not, or if it makes no difference, try another router to see if that changes the behavior.

Good luck!

DaveF

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have the device behind a router which is behind another router (long story). I suspected that might have something to do with it.  I suspect that second router may be the problem.  I now have the device only behind one router and will see if that resolves the problem.

dircom

The power supply could be going bad.  If you have a spare, try that also

SteveInWA

Quote from: DaveF on March 10, 2016, 12:23:25 PM
Thank you for the suggestion.  I have the device behind a router which is behind another router (long story). I suspected that might have something to do with it.  I suspect that second router may be the problem.  I now have the device only behind one router and will see if that resolves the problem.

Well, DUH.  No, that's not going to work (reliably, or possibly at all).  This is not a Google Voice problem, and likely not an OBi hardware problem.  If it was, it would simply not work, no matter what you tried.