News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

can obi allow paging to other handsets

Started by dddd, March 03, 2016, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dddd

i have a very basic setup.  obi202 connected to phone port.  a bunch of different telephones connected around the house. 

can i pick one up and have obi ring the others?

SteveInWA

No.  They're all electrically connected to the same phone line.  Picking up any one of those phones takes the entire line off-hook, so no other phone can receive any sort of call.

dircom

If you have two separate phone systems connected to your Obi 202, you can pick up either line, and dial the other line by using the # button.

SteveInWA

That only works if the 202 is, indeed, using both of its physical phone ports, and every connected phone is a two-line phone, neither of which the OP mentioned.

The non-OBi solution would be to buy a set of DECT cordless phones with a handset paging or intercom feature.

Ansextra

I have an Obi 202 with a Dect single line phone in each port as well as two GV numbers configured.  When I press the # key on one phone it rings the other phone.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Ansextra on March 08, 2016, 09:39:43 AM
I have an Obi 202 with a Dect single line phone in each port as well as two GV numbers configured.  When I press the # key on one phone it rings the other phone.

See my reply above.  Since the OP hasn't replied to clarify, I assume that the phones are all connected to only one of the 202's two physical phone ports.  In this configuration, no, you can't use the OBi's "press # to ring the other phone line feature, since all the phones are on the same line.

dircom

The original post is ambiguous.
Quote from: dddd on March 03, 2016, 05:40:29 PM
i have a very basic setup.  obi202 connected to phone port.  a bunch of different telephones connected around the house.  
can i pick one up and have obi ring the others?

You do not connect an obi202 to "phone port" (the obi has phone jacks, that support up to two separate phone systems) 
All we know for sure is dddd has several phones connected, we don't know if they go to a single phone jack or to both phone jacks on the Obi

SteveInWA says ".... I assume ......"

Without making any assumptions, one can accurately say, you can not page individual phones with an Obi,
but if you have an Obi 202, and a phone(s) or phone systems connected to each phone jack on the Obi, you CAN call from one phone line to the other by lifting the handset and pressing the # button