News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anyone got RingPlus working on their OBi?

Started by Taoman, March 13, 2016, 07:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

I was aware of RingPlus on the cellular side of things. I didn't know R+ also supports SIP connectivity (FluidCall) which got me curious. I have read on the R+ support forums that some people have connected their OBi successfully.

I have been able to register with R+ with no problem. I can also receive incoming calls just fine. However, I cannot get outgoing calls to actually ring the called party's phone. When I try and make an outgoing call it connects immediately and I hear the R+ radio ads as I should. The called party's phone is supposed to ring while the caller hears the radio ads but this isn't happening (although it does work when using cell phone). I get a SIP error code of 480 (Temporarily Unavailable). I get the same results with both my OBi and PhonerLite. I can register and receive calls just fine but outbound calls never complete.

Has anyone got this working successfully?

Note: If anyone wants to try this (and you have a spare Sprint,Boost,Virgin compatible phone) you can sign up for the Truly Free 2 plan which is truly free and gives you 125 minutes/month.

Taoman

Quote from: goldie26 on March 18, 2016, 06:40:08 AM
this app guide has details for sip setup

Thanks for the guide. Actually, outgoing calls just magically started working for me a couple days ago. I'm actually rather impressed with the sip call quality. And I finally changed my radio station to classical so now I just hear classical music on outgoing calls........much nicer.

I got in on the members+ deal and the eternity plan. Unlimited incoming/outgoing for life (no doubt the "life" of RingPlus). Just wish I could get a plan that included tethering on my cell. My neighborhood semi-regularly gets power outages that last 2 or 3 days after a wind storm and tethering would come in handy.

giqcass

I was looking around on the Rinplus website today because I am about to upgrade my phone and I clicked a link.  I then saw I had a sip username/password.  Of course I had to plug those into my Obi. A few minutes later and I made a call.  I don't know how I will use this exactly but I plan to mess around with it and see if it's useful.

Now I have all kinds of other questions that I will need to answer.  like for instance can I forward sip calls directly to my sip address?  I'm going to have to do a lot of playing around to see just what is possible.  Since I already have this hooked to my Obi I will also have to test out NomoRobo.  This should be fun.
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

You can call a ringplus sip address directly.  I will not list this under the good or bad category just yet.  There is definitely some possibility of abuse from robo sip dialers but I have not experienced anything like that(no strange numbers have called me).  This does at least allow us to forward calls using the OBI directly to a Ringplus cellphone for free.  It also allows us to link a free Inum to our phones although that system is really dying out so far as I can tell. 

The most useful thing about the ability to ring the SIP address directly (that I can think of right now) is that friends an family members abroad can call you for free using a sip phone.  That will ring the cellphone directly with no special software or setup on your part.

Format XXXxxxXXXX= your 10 digit ringplus number.
XXXxxxXXXX@sip.ringplus.net
Long live our new ObiLords!

Taoman

Some things I've learned using RingPlus.

For most people, using cellular voice doesn't work well because of the extreme latency introduced by the Sprint IMS system. If I was ever going to use voice on my Ring+ phones it would be with Hangouts using GV over LTE data (or WiFi). I don't know or care what my Ring+ phone numbers are. I only went with Ring+ because of the free LTE data. Depending on your location Sprint coverage generally sucks.
Luckily, if using SIP (on the OBi) the latency is radically reduced.........at least for me.

I have 2 phones/lines with Ring+. I only use the phones to stream music in my car which works well. I use Google Play Music since it allows a lot of buffering unlike Pandora. I also have one line that includes free tethering.

I have my Ring+ DIDs configured on my OBi's. I route any incoming calls to VoIP.ms so I can get CNAM and use Nomorobo. But I never get incoming calls on those lines anyway. I only make outgoing SIP calls on those lines which works well. If you have free plans you must make at least 1 outgoing phone call per line every 60 days to retain your free plan. I quite often call the BBC World Service on Audio Now and listen to the news (7124325335).

Tip: If you don't want to hear the music/ads for the ringback tone when making outgoing SIP calls choose "News Flash" under your Ringback Radio. For some reason ads and music usually don't play when using that Radio station. Otherwise choose the Classical music station.