News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Crazy Ring patterns, Callerid always shows out of area for all calls?

Started by Sandia505, March 15, 2016, 11:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandia505

I recently ported my home number to my Google voice, I had a google voice number which I moved to SP2 and added my home number as SP1.  My SP2 number is forwarded to my cell phones and my SP1 is primary phone.  I also upgraded my 110 (which died) to a 200.  I have set my local area code to 505.
2 things I dont understand and do not know how to fix:

1) Every call that comes into the SP1 number has a crazy ring pattern.
2) Every call that comes into the SP1 number show out of area (3 different callerid boxs made by different manufactures that used to work just fine on Century link)

Couple of comments, I never noticed "Out of Area" before when I was using the 110 and my original GV number.  I also never noticed the crazy ring pattern.  I have read that OBi changed the 200's calling name feature to sell their obextra features so the users would get the correct calling name info. ???   I guess if there is no way to get the correct caller name other then a subscription  can I just set it to strictly provide the number? 
Thanks,

FireSQer

Quote from: Sandia505 on March 15, 2016, 11:57:04 AM

2) Every call that comes into the SP1 number show out of area (3 different callerid boxs made by different manufactures that used to work just fine on Century link)

GV doesn't supply name with caller ID.  A generally accepted work around involves a free number from CallCentric which does send name with CID.  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

I'm new and am struggling with ring patterns on my OBI200, so can't help you on this one [yet...]

Sandia505

FireSQer,

Whats really strange about this is I didn't have a problem with either when I had my 110.  I am half tempted to completely disassociate both SP's, do a factory reset on the 200 and try to build it back. I just am afraid I will make it worse.  At least it now rings the phone and I can make calls on it  :-[

What really surprises me is with all the experts that are on this forum (including the company that builds the OBI) that no answers have been posted!    ???

Guess we will just have to keep our fingers crossed that the right person reads the post and knows the answers.

ianobi

Ring patterns have been discussed many times on this forum. Each SP has a choice of ten different ring patterns. This post explains how to change them:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10888.msg71689#msg71689

Taoman

2) Every call that comes into the SP1 number show out of area

Change the following to be: Show Caller Number

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> CidNoNameFormat:

You can only access this parameter from the local web GUI. (***1 from OBi phone to get ip address)
Default password for both User Name & Password is: admin
You must uncheck the box to the right of the field in order to edit the parm.

Sandia505

Quote from: ianobi on March 21, 2016, 10:49:02 AM
Ring patterns have been discussed many times on this forum. Each SP has a choice of ten different ring patterns. This post explains how to change them:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10888.msg71689#msg71689

Thank you for pointing out the thread but seems to me a factory default unit would have a standard ring pattern for SP1 and I have never changed it. I did check it following: Ring Pattern 1, Ringname= Bellcore-dr1, RingPattern- 60;(2+4) which I believe is 2 seconds on, 4 seconds off or a standard ring.
Dan

Sandia505

Quote from: Taoman on March 21, 2016, 11:14:11 AM

2) Every call that comes into the SP1 number show out of area

Change the following to be: Show Caller Number

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> CidNoNameFormat:

You can only access this parameter from the local web GUI. (***1 from OBi phone to get ip address)
Default password for both User Name & Password is: admin
You must uncheck the box to the right of the field in order to edit the parm.

I changed the entry to: None, that got rid of the "out of area" which is great, now is there anyway to dump the 1 and local area code in the display for calls within my area.  I do not live in an area where it is manditory to dial an area code to get a local number.  Thanks for your help!

Sandia505

I must say I get the weebee geebies making changes to these fields, since I really dont know exactly what I am doing I dont want to break the thing.  Thanks to all who take the time to help those NOT in the know!

ianobi

QuoteRing Pattern 1, Ringname= Bellcore-dr1, RingPattern- 60;(2+4) which I believe is 2 seconds on, 4 seconds off or a standard ring.

Yes, that is the standard North American ring pattern. That leaves two possibilities:
1. The OBi is faulty.
2. The phone / dect base unit etc plugged into the OBi Phone Port is causing the issue. Many phones and most dect base units can produce their own ring patterns without following the incoming ring pattern. Try a simple corded phone to test.

Out of interest, just what does the crazy ring pattern sound like?

ianobi

Quotenow is there anyway to dump the 1 and local area code in the display for calls within my area.

This can be done, but you will have to be prepared to dive into expert settings. If you wish me to show you how, then please post what is in this setting:
Voice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute

Change any real numbers to hide your personal info.

Sandia505

Ring pattern sounds like: Ring, Ring, Pause, Ring, Pause.  Pattern Repeats, Very little time between first 2 rings.

I attached a jpeg screen dump of the SP1 service screen, not sure it worked I may have to put the jpeg on my server and place a link here for you to see it.
Thanks!

Taoman

Quote from: ianobi on March 23, 2016, 11:45:20 AM
This can be done, but you will have to be prepared to dive into expert settings. If you wish me to show you how, then please post what is in this setting:
Voice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute

I have never been able to get this to work properly on 2 different Panasonic DECT phone models using 2 different OBi ATAs. This is why I recommended the OP set CidNoNameFormat to Show Caller Number. On Panasonic phones (when there is no incoming CNAM) you can set the CNAM display to show 7, 10, or an 11 digit number.
I think my syntax is correct so perhaps you can show me where I'm going wrong. This is what I'm using:
{(<1:>@@.):ph},{ph}

All of my DIDs don't include the leading "1" for incoming calls except Callcentric. So presumably the rule wouldn't work for any incoming calls except those from Callcentric. Correct? Except it doesn't work for Callcentric either. I still get the leading "1" displayed for all CC calls.
But, if I make the rule be {(<1xxx:>@@.):ph},{ph} (where xxx is local area code) it does work and only shows a 7-digit number.
Likewise, {(<xxx:>@@.):ph},{ph} works properly on all my other DIDs. It displays a 7-digit number as expected.

But I have never been able to remove just the leading "1" from any of my DIDs in the call display. Perhaps this is just a function of Panasonic DECT phones or am I missing something obvious?

Edit: Made another call to my Callcentric line using {(<1:>@@.):ph} and checked the Phone and Line Port status and could see the 1 was being stripped off before being sent so the problem is definitely with the Panasonic DECT phone. My guess is it has x number of characters it can display in that field and if you only send 10 it will add the 1. So by sending my line number plus * it overwrites where the 1 would otherwise normally display.

Sandia505

It Always shows a 1 505 XXX XXXX on all devices, AT&T wireless, Nortel, as well as a Bellsouth Callerid box and a Uniden phone as well. Doesn't make any difference as to who the callerid unit is or that a 505 is a local calling number.  ???  I am curious what the Red Exclamation points in specific fields are.

Taoman

I came up with a better solution for me since I get calls on 3 of my 4 trunks. I prefaced the phone number with the line # which gets substituted for the leading "1" (at least on a Panasonic DECT phone) so I can easily see which line the call is coming in on. I had just been using different ring patterns to try and determine which line was actually ringing.

{(<?:X*>@@.):ph}

where X is the SP trunk number. So the end result displays like this where "3" is the line number:

3*555-555-1212

Taoman

Quote from: Sandia505 on March 23, 2016, 02:24:59 PM
It Always shows a 1 505 XXX XXXX on all devices, AT&T wireless, Nortel, as well as a Bellsouth Callerid box and a Uniden phone as well. Doesn't make any difference as to who the callerid unit is or that a 505 is a local calling number.  ???  I am curious what the Red Exclamation points in specific fields are.

Try changing your X_InboundCallRoute to the following:

{(353xxxx|353xxxx):aa},{(<1505:>@@.):ph},{(<1:>@@.):ph},{ph}

ianobi can correct any mistakes I might have made.

PS. A red exclamation mark means the field has/had been changed from the default setting.

ianobi

@ Taoman - Looks like you have a good understanding of how to transform incoming CallerIDs. {(<1:>@@.):ph} was my original post several years ago when people were complaining that their phones were only designed to display ten digit numbers. I used the "@@." rather than "xx." as my incoming CallerIDs sometimes contain letters as well as numbers. For conventional incoming calls containing only digits, then {(<1:>xx.):ph} would work fine for removing the leading "1".

@ Sandia505 - Taoman's suggested InboundCallRoute should work fine for you:
{(353xxxx|353xxxx):aa},{(<1505:>@@.):ph},{(<1:>@@.):ph},{ph}

The first rule sends incoming calls with that CallerID to your Auto Attendant.

{(<1505:>@@.):ph} matches incoming calls with CallerIDs with the first four digits being 1505, removes the leading 1505 and sends the remaining seven digits to the Phone Port as a seven digit CallerID.

{(<1:>@@.):ph} matches incoming calls with CallerIDs with the first digit being 1, removes the leading 1 and sends the remaining ten digits to the Phone Port as a ten digit CallerID.

{ph} matches any other CallerID and sends it unchanged to the Phone Port.

I cannot see any reason for your crazy ring pattern. Maybe try a simple corded phone as a test?

Sandia505

ianobi,  Thanks so much for the detailed callerid info,  implemented and works perfectly, now shows 7 digit local number.  

I did want to ask you what the red exclamation point are at the ends of certain fields. (see previous attachment)

Gonna see where I can pick up a standard corded phone, everything I currently have is wireless or straight callerid boxes. (wish I had kept my old trimline)

What is your thoughts of completely removing everything from Obi, performing a factory reset on the 200 and try putting everything back in hopes of resolving the ring issue or am I asking for trouble doing this?

Best regards, :D
Dan

Taoman

Quote from: ianobi on March 24, 2016, 02:42:29 AM
I used the "@@." rather than "xx." as my incoming CallerIDs sometimes contain letters as well as numbers.

Thanks. I was wondering about that. I don't think NANP allows non-numerical characters in the CallerID number. I take it the UK does?

ianobi

@ Dan - Here's the official line from Obihai:

QuoteInside the OBi Expert Configuration pages, you will notice its resemblance to the OBi device web page menu, look and layout.  To the right of the configurable parameter value field, there may be a red exclamation mark (!).  When this mark is present, it means the parameter value next to where it appears has an OBi Expert configuration database entry that is different than the OBiTALK database entry.  If the Device Default and OBiTALK boxes are left unchecked, then the OBi will use this setting in its active configuration. 

I have loads of red "!" - nothing to worry about.

I would not try the factory reset just yet. The corded phone test would be my first step - it may be nothing to do with the OBi. You could try changing the ring profile from A to B, save, then change it back again to see if that resets something.

ianobi

@ Taoman - The UK system is similar to NANP, it only uses digits. However, it is an "open" system which allows for variable length numbers, which can make OBi digit maps more difficult.

I'm thinking back a couple of years now, but I think someone in the US was under the impression that his voip or PSTN provider was including "-" symbols. That seems unlikely, more likely his phone was introducing those in its display. My need for "@@." is more to do with my direct ip calling where I can invent CallerIDs, which sometimes include letters.

In the US it would be fine to be more precise. If your Call History shows all calls coming in are eleven digits starting with "1", then this:
{(<1:>@@.):ph}
could be rewritten as
{(<1:>xxxxxxxxxx):ph}