News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is there an answering machine that will work with OBI100?

Started by jemco, March 13, 2016, 01:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemco

Hello,
My Mom uses the OBI100 as a house phone.
She has an answering machine, but sometimes it picks up the call and sometimes Google Voice picks it up and she never gets the message.
I am looking for an answering machine that picks up just a bit sooner than the time limit of GV.
I think that may be about 25 seconds.
I guess an answering machine that picked up in about 20 seconds would be best.
* Can anybody recommend a machine that does this?

* Otherwise is there an OBI device that has an indicator that there is voice-mail waiting?

Because voicemails get lost the way it is now.

Thanks,

restamp

Google voice goes to voice mail after 25 seconds and there is little you can do about that.  In another thread about a similar problem, someone (azrobert?) suggested altering your ring tone to decrease the time between rings.  The answering machine still looks for "N" rings, but because they now occur closer together, it picks up sooner, beating Google to the punch.

SteveInWA

Switch your Mom's phone service to a SIP VoIP provider like Callcentric, voip.ms or Phonepower.  She'll get inbound caller ID name (CNAM), E-911 service, and voicemail with both MWI (the stutter tone) and VMWI (the flashing light).  The monthly cost is minimal, compared to the peace of mind and less stress over missing messages, or being able to call 911, etc.

Answering machines are 1960s technology.

FormerYooper

jemco ... I too have an Obi100 along with an answering machine.  I guess some of us just feel a little more comfortable living in the last century ...  :D   I experienced the same issue trying to get the answering machine to pick up BEFORE GV did.  What I have is an integrated Panasonic cordless phone with an answering machine.  FYI the model number is Panasonic KX-TG7642M.  I have mine set up to pick up a call after the 4th ring.  Once in a great while GV will pick up first but not very often.  I would say 99% of the time my answering machine picks up first.  Hope this is helpful to you. 

dircom

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 13, 2016, 03:15:15 PM
Answering machines are 1960s technology.

right,  ;)
just like mp3 players are 1960's technology (same as 8 track players)

Rick

As stated, most answering machines can be changed to answer in fewer rings.

I find the hardest thing with old people is to teach them NOT to run when the freakin' phone rings...  And not to answer it when they don't recognize the caller or caller's number.