News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to disconnect input telephone wires

Started by cheerful, April 02, 2016, 12:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheerful

Hi,

I finally managed to port my landline number to Google voice.  If I plug my OBI phone jack into my wall phone jack, I got some busy tone.  My previous teleco refused to do anything for me to disconnect the wires.  I am in an apartment and don't have access to the outside wiring.

The landline was a digital line.  There a board in my closet, which all the voice cable connects to.  The input line has 4 pairs, labeled PR1 to PR4.  I connected the blue wire on PR1 and now OBI works with the wall jack, except there is a static background.

Do I need to disconnect all the wires?  There is no socket for the wires and they went through some narrow clips and it's quite hard to pull (I think it's called 110 connector and I don't have the tools).  So if there is just a couple that I need to pull, that will be great.

Thanks

Lavarock7

The narrow clips are probably bridge clips. Yes they pull off. They bridge the telco side of the 110 to the customer side of the circuits.

Once you pull the clips off, telco should be disconnected. You can test that with a phone plugged into a regular wall jack. You should no longer hear a dialtone, static or even the sidetone (the echo and noise when you blow into the mouthpiece.

This is a 66 block with bridge clips

I think the 110 block is just used for interconnect and the 66 is used to bridge and be able to break

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

dircom

If taking off the bridge clips will solve the problem, you just need some needle nose pliers
Please take a pic of your connections and post for the most accurate response

cheerful

I'm almost sure it's 110 block.  The block is soldered to the board so I can't take the whole thing.

Do I need to pull off all the wires?  I pulled off blue PR1 and now I can use the phone, except with some static noise in the background.

dircom

SteveInWA

You don't need a photo.  You just need to disconnect (cut off or pull off) both the solid blue wire, and the blue/white wire.

8-wire cable, used for network and telephone wiring, has 4 pairs of wires.  Each pair can be used for one telephone line.  Blue with blue/white is for line one.  Just disconnect both wires from this pair and you're good to go.  The static is because you left part of the circuit connected.  Be sure to safely bend away and/or tape the removed wires, so they don't short against anything.  Do Lavarock's test, using a telephone, before connecting your OBi.

cheerful

Here is the photo

I've disconnected the first wire

dircom

The problem with a lot of posts on this forum, are that, people ask questions, while they provide little if no details.
I guess you are attempting to reuse your apt wiring, Is that correct?

Kind people like Lavarock, attempt to guess what kind of setup you have, Steve does not take into account others might read your post, and start pulling/cutting wires wily nilly, without knowing what they are doing.
There are many, many variations of wiring.  It is not one size fits all.

If you could post a wider angle shot, that would be helpful, but looking at your photo, looks like the 4 connector punchdown on the left is labeled "IN", so pulling those wires off, should disconnect your apt wiring from the Telco line.

Do the other number of wires connected, correspond to the number of phone jacks in your apt?
I can't make out the labeling on the jack, other than In , and Out
what are the other labels?

Please don't cut the wires, the next person to use your apt, might need them (you just pull them gently off)

"The landline was a digital line.  There a board in my closet, which all the voice cable connects to.  The input line has 4 pairs, labeled PR1 to PR4.  I connected the blue wire on PR1 and now OBI works with the wall jack, except there is a static background.

"Do I need to disconnect all the wires?  There is no socket for the wires and they went through some narrow clips and it's quite hard to pull (I think it's called 110 connector and I don't have the tools).  So if there is just a couple that I need to pull, that will be great."

You say you connected the blue wire on PR1, blue wire From WHERE?

You say the wires went thru some narrow clips, you don't post any photo of that

cheerful

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

The blocks are labeled.  The top ones (vertical) have wires going to each rooms in the apartment (labels on the wire match the labels on the jacks).  The bottom one (horizontal) is labled teleco.  So I know that's the input.

Yeah I am trying not to detroy the entire wiring so that the next person could restore it if desired.

I *disconnect* the first wire on the block (blue/white) -- the first one from the left on the bottom horizontal block.

By "narrow clips", I meant the block connector.

cheerful

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 02, 2016, 03:14:54 PM
You don't need a photo.  You just need to disconnect (cut off or pull off) both the solid blue wire, and the blue/white wire.

8-wire cable, used for network and telephone wiring, has 4 pairs of wires.  Each pair can be used for one telephone line.  Blue with blue/white is for line one.  Just disconnect both wires from this pair and you're good to go.  The static is because you left part of the circuit connected.  Be sure to safely bend away and/or tape the removed wires, so they don't short against anything.  Do Lavarock's test, using a telephone, before connecting your OBi.

I took out blue and blue/white.  Now the background static is mostly gone.

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Quote from: dircom on April 02, 2016, 03:43:59 PM
The problem with a lot of posts on this forum, are that, people ask questions, while they provide little if no details.
I guess you are attempting to reuse your apt wiring, Is that correct?

Kind people like Lavarock, attempt to guess what kind of setup you have, Steve does not take into account others might read your post, and start pulling/cutting wires wily nilly, without knowing what they are doing.
There are many, many variations of wiring.  It is not one size fits all.

If you could post a wider angle shot, that would be helpful, but looking at your photo, looks like the 4 connector punchdown on the left is labeled "IN", so pulling those wires off, should disconnect your apt wiring from the Telco line.

Do the other number of wires connected, correspond to the number of phone jacks in your apt?
I can't make out the labeling on the jack, other than In , and Out
what are the other labels?

Please don't cut the wires, the next person to use your apt, might need them (you just pull them gently off)

"The landline was a digital line.  There a board in my closet, which all the voice cable connects to.  The input line has 4 pairs, labeled PR1 to PR4.  I connected the blue wire on PR1 and now OBI works with the wall jack, except there is a static background.

"Do I need to disconnect all the wires?  There is no socket for the wires and they went through some narrow clips and it's quite hard to pull (I think it's called 110 connector and I don't have the tools).  So if there is just a couple that I need to pull, that will be great."

You say you connected the blue wire on PR1, blue wire From WHERE?

You say the wires went thru some narrow clips, you don't post any photo of that

Even without the photo, it was completely clear that cheerful had only disconnected one of the two wires comprising line one on his terminal block.  Disconnecting the other wire in the pair was the solution.  The color code has been the same since the 1960s:  eight wires in the cable bundle.  Each solid color wire has a corresponding white wire with color stripes matching the solid color.  Blue/white is always line 1.  Attached here is one of the many diagrams on the web, showing the standard.  Disconnecting the other wire was the solution, and Lavarock's test was the right way to confirm it.

Once he posted the photo, it was even more clear, since the photo showed the label "utililty" next to the terminal block, where the previously mentioned one of two wires in the pair was disconnected.

"PR" stands for "Premise" (home, office, etc.).  T and R stand for Tip and Ring.

Lavarock7

That photo makes it look as though the header just pulls off with all
the wires.

Anyway, as mentioned above, blue/white white/blue pair is the first pair.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com