News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi202 lost connection would not re-establish eventual fix

Started by marksatterfield, November 23, 2015, 06:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marksatterfield

Okay guys, here goes.

Obi202, in service for a few years, and this issue seems to come up once every several months.

* Obi will no longer be connected. 
* No inbound/outbound calls, not connected to dashboard, only light will be Internet flashing as data packets are sent/received. 
* Remains connected to the router (IP Address is allocated DHCP), but Obi itself is not responsive (to the IP address).
* Obi power light turns Red on first boot, cycles to Nothing within a few seconds.
* No other lights on the Obi (only the Ethernet flashing on apparent packet delivery)

The fix is ... well, I have no idea, but here are the things that I wind up doing that eventually make it work.

* Reboot router (repeatedly)
* Disconnect Ethernet between Obi & Router
* Boot Obi, hard reset Obi
* Boot Obi with it disconnected from Router (thought is to let it go through it's reboot cycle without being able to establish an IP address)
* Hard reset Obi while disconnected
* Prolly a few other things

Eventually some combination of the above (or a few things I don't recall doing) wind up resetting it and allowing it to go through an entire boot sequence.

Eventually... but I don't know the cycle process yet.

Hope this helps someone... and if you know what is going on, please post that!

http://www.marksatterfield.com

Shale

I am not saying this will cure your problem, but it may help. If your OBi is set up for DHCP would have your router always hand out the same IP address each time.

This way if there is some lost communication, the remembered IP will be the same as the new IP.

marksatterfield

Thanks for the idea.  It didn't help. 

As long as the power does not go out, it seems the system remains operational.  As soon as a power glitch, though, and poof, the problem comes back.