News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 with LTE Router - will fax work?

Started by all41_14all, April 07, 2016, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

all41_14all

1. Will an OBi200 (or 202) work with an LTE cellular router that has a good signal? I'm using one right now that's getting something like 20 Mbps up and down.

2. I understand that the cellular network is especially unfriendly to faxes. Will an OBi200 be able to send faxes over an LTE cellular router? The router I'm using has a voice jack, and my fax machine will not work over that. The voice jack is using a cellular voice line, which I assume would have different protocols from the internet connection the router provides, or from VoIP.

3. Are there any other devices that could sit between a fax machine and an internet connection that would make faxing over the internet more reliable?

Thanks.

drgeoff

1. Probably.

2. Cellular voice uses low bit rate audio codecs around 10kbit/s.Clearly you can't get a 14.4 kbit/s or higher fax machine to work over that. Most SIP providers use 64 kbit/s PCM,  the same as POTS inter-office circuits. ("office" in the US telco sense.) I don't often need to send faxes but on the few occasions I have, there has been no problem with my Brother 4510, OBi110, Asterisk, VDSL (45 Mbit/s down,  9 Mbit/s up), Localphone UK route to a fax machine on a POTS line in rural Japan.

3. No.