News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Plantronics 85618-01

Started by kenz, April 14, 2016, 04:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenz

does the Plantronics 85618-01 headset work with my ObiHai 1022 phone?  How?

SteveInWA

No.   That's a headset designed to plug into a computer's USB port and work with audio applications on the computer.

You need a headset with a 3.5mm headset jack, similar to those used with cell phones.

If you buy a OBiBT USB dongle, you can also use a Bluetooth headset, although sound quality won't be much better than what you'd get with a cell phone and a BT headset.

And, a third option:  you can buy a commercial-grade headset with an amplifier base, which attaches to the RJ-9 handset jack on the OBi phone.

kenz

thanks Steve!  can you give me a few amazon links for the RJ9 you metion

SteveInWA

Really, the cheapest, easiest solution is to get a headset with a 3.5mm headset plug.  The 1022 phone has a 3.5mm jack on the lower right side of the base.  This uses the phone's built-in amplifier.

If you want to get a RJ-9 solution, then you'll need an external headset amplifier.  The amp plugs into the RJ-9 jack on the phone, where the phone's own handset is currently connected.  You then plug the handset into the amp.  The amp has a switch to select whether to use the handset or the headset.

The most complete selection of RJ-9 style headsets with amps is at www.hellodirect.com.  They're owned by GN Netcom, one of the world's largest headset manufaturers, which also owns the Jabra brand, and they sell their own products along with products from the other major commercial headset makers, such as Plantronics and Sennheiser.  Some of the same headsets shown in the "corded headsets" section for RJ-9 use are also available without amps, with a 3.5mm plug, for direct attachment to the phone.  They don't list them on the website, but you can call them to order.  Hello Direct's prices can be higher than at other sellers, but they offer free technical support and excellent service.  Shop accordingly!

SteveInWA

By the way, the OBi 1032 and 1062 phones have built-in support for RJ-9 headsets with external amps:  they have a dedicated headset button on the phone base, and they have "Electronic Hook Switch" or EHS support for commercial-grade headsets that support EHS.  With EHS, you can use a cordless headset, and answer calls remotely by tapping a button on the headset.

This is the headset I use with my 1032 phone:  http://www.hellodirect.com/hellodirect/Shop?DSP=30102&PCR=1:1:5:15:150:1040&IID=13577&itemskuid=13577

It's expensive, and there are cheaper options available, but I wanted to show you what can be done when money is no object.   ::)

Motoman

Steve, I just received an Obi 1062, and I too have a Jabra 9470.  However, people say that they have trouble hearing/understanding me when I use the Jabra headset.  I have gone through the set-up on the Jabra, and on the 1062, but can't get it right. I have the RJ9 plugged into the Obi 1062 headset jack and the Jabra RJ9 blue jack.  I noticed in another post that you said that the handset cord should be plugged into the Jabra 9470 instead of the handset RJ9 on the Obi 1062.  Is that how you have yours hooked up?  I wonder if that is what is affecting the sound quality . . .

SteveInWA

Quote from: Motoman on November 17, 2016, 10:52:40 AM
Steve, I just received an Obi 1062, and I too have a Jabra 9470.  However, people say that they have trouble hearing/understanding me when I use the Jabra headset.  I have gone through the set-up on the Jabra, and on the 1062, but can't get it right. I have the RJ9 plugged into the Obi 1062 headset jack and the Jabra RJ9 blue jack.  I noticed in another post that you said that the handset cord should be plugged into the Jabra 9470 instead of the handset RJ9 on the Obi 1062.  Is that how you have yours hooked up?  I wonder if that is what is affecting the sound quality . . .

No, that's not your problem.  Where you plug in the 1062's handset cord (into the phone vs. into the Jabra base) simply determines which device (Jabra vs. phone) controls the switching from handset to headset.

The problem is that the automatic calibration routine in the Jabra unit doesn't seem to work with the OBi phone.  There are two gain (volume) settings that independently control the two different amplifiers processing the headset's microphone signal:  the Jabra has an amp, and so does the IP phone.  If they're too low, your callers won't hear you.  If they're too high, your voice will be distorted (clipping).  The two amps are additive, and it's easy to overload the signal, producing distortion.  You can experiment, if you have a cooperative/patient friend who can listen to your voice on a call.  See my screenshot attached for the settings I am using.  This only shows the settings for the phone.

I have my Jabra's mic transmit level set to 8 and the OBi set to 3.  I don't know if this is perfect, but it seems to work.  For example, you could lower the Jabra setting and raise the OBi setting, and see what happens.

The other issue is that, if the mic level is turned up, the "sidetone", or sound of your own voice fed back to your earpiece, gets too loud, so you will need to turn it down, too.

Motoman

Thanks so much for the speedy response.  I was wondering if the phone settings and Jabra settings were incompatible with each other or possibly some sort of a feedback loop.  I am going to experiment with your settings and see what happens!  I'll let you know.  I have a few other questions about set up . . . Maybe I can PM you here with them . . . 

Motoman

Well Steve, using your suggested settings, the problem is apparently solved!  I had to turn the headset sidetone down to 3, because I was hearing my voice through the headset a little, but the person on the other end said I sounded "loud and clear!" Problem 1 solved.  I'm sending you a PM about a couple of other issues I am lost on.  Thanks again!