News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 has developed a ghost

Started by awriter, April 20, 2016, 03:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awriter

Been using my OBi200 with GV for a while now, and it's worked like a charm. Phone rings in the house and my cell. If I don't answer, it goes to Google voicemail, and I'm notified by email. Great.

Yesterday, without my doing anything here or in Gmail/gv, something weird happened. A friend called while I was out and I didn't answer. When I got home I saw the normal gv email notification as well as the message waiting in the gv app. BUT... I *also* got a text message from "OBi" with that same message! Happened again today, and in fact the transcript of each message is now listed in my OBi contact on my Android cell!

What the heck is this --- and how do I turn it off? Help will be very appreciated!

SteveInWA

Hi:

Does the text message say "You've got a new voicemail from (xxx) xxx-xxxx" (x = phone number that left the message on your Google Voice voicemail)?

If so, then you've turned on the Google Voice setting to notify you via a text message when you have received a voicemail message.

Log onto your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer, not from a phone or tablet, and go here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Look at the listing for your cell phone in the list of forwarding destinations.  Remove the check mark next to "Notify me of new voicemails via text".

awriter

Steve - thank you! Any idea how this option would have turned itself on yesterday? I swear I have not changed any setting in gv for at least a year.

SteveInWA

Martian swamp gas?  Donald Trump?  Oh wait, those are the same thing.

Beats me.  At least it was easy to figure out!

Just for the sake of online security/paranoia, consider changing your Google password to something that is complex, and is not used on any other website.  By "complex", I mean, at least 16 characters, with no words or names in any language, and no "clever" numeric substitutions like g00dpassw0rd.  Something pseudo-random, like S#6y2WS2*k8xB4tQ is recommended.  Never use the same password on more than one website that requires a sign-in.  Consider using two-factor authentication.

awriter

> Martian swamp gas?  Donald Trump?  Oh wait, those are the same thing.

Hmm... the Primary was yesterday, when this started. I think you're on to something. :) And thanks for the excellent PW advice, too.