News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't link GV to OBI200 - Configuring just spins

Started by gregsquire, April 19, 2016, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsquire

I can't seem to get my new OBI200 to get connected with my Google Voice account. In ObiTalk under the Configure Voice Service Providers (SP) section, I'm setting up SP1 while I'm logged into my Google voice account.  There's a few prompts that ask for permission, and then it goes to a "Configuring" status and the spinner next to it just spins and spins. About 15 minutes later it times out and shows "Service Not Configured".  I've tried this so many times and it always seems to fail.

I can call the **9 222 222 222 test number just fine, so the network connectivity is working. There is a GV number in my Google account (says "Your Number:") and it is setup to forward calls to Google Chat.

Can anyone point me as to other things to check to help make this work?  Any other thoughts?

SteveInWA

Hi Greg:

The OBiTALK portal had an extended outage this weekend that was apparently fixed today.  That might have been causing your problem.  You may just want to try again tomorrow.

Otherwise, this could be caused by your browser being signed into more than one Google account.  Try signing out of all Google-related services, on all of your web browsers, then clear the browser's cache, cookies and history, close and reopen the browser, and sign in again to only the one Google account that holds your Google Voice number.  Then, try the OBi setup again.

gregsquire

Thanks for the thoughts Steve. I've tried your suggestions today (just a bit ago) and I'm still having the same trouble. Rebooted the OBI200 also. I'm not sure what I'm still missing.

BTW here's the hardware/firmware versions of my OBI200 (should be current I believe; just bought it a week ago)
HardwareVersion 1.4 help
SoftwareVersion 3.1.0 (Build: 5191)

SteveInWA

Thanks for the update.  Well, that's annoying!

There may be something wrong with the Google account you are attempting to use.

Log into your Google Voice account from a desktop or laptop computer's web browser, and go here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Take a screenshot of that page.  Use an image editor (like MS Paint for Windows) to black out your personal information.  Leave only the last 4 digits of your phone numbers exposed, and then click "Additional Options..." here in the forum to attach your screenshot.

gregsquire

Well after removing it from the OBITalk portal several times and also a factory reset, as well as resetting up the OBIwifi card. I finally got it to connect to Google Voice services. It finally says "Connected" on the OBITalk page for SP1.

However it seems I have a different problem now. I can make outbound calls just fine, however the phone never rings when I get an inbound call, and it eventually sends me to voicemail. If I check the "forward to mobile" checkbox on the Google Voice page, then inbound calls are forwarded to my cell. Also if I'm logged into Google Hangouts with my Google account then the inbound calls show up there. (Having Forward to Google Chat checkbox on or off doesn't affect calls in Hangouts)

I've still included the screenshot of my GV settings, in case that helps. 

SteveInWA

Thanks for the screenshot.  It looks like a perfectly healthy Google Voice account with its own, valid inbound Google Voice number.

You also confirmed that you can receive calls forwarded to your mobile phone, and to Hangouts.  That pretty much eliminates issues with the account itself and its Google Voice telephone number.

Here is your "homework assignment", to perform when you're well-rested and can dedicate your attention to detail:

The "I can make calls, but not receive calls" symptom is usually caused by one of these things:

• The "Homer Simpson Award":  the ringer on your telephone is turned off or broken, or it is the rare telephone that doesn't ring using the OBi's default ring settings.  Check that phone, and try another telephone if you have one available.
  • You're using the Simonics Gateway, which can grab priority over Chat and cause other clients to not ring.  If you don't know what that is, then you're not using it.
  • You set up this Google Voice service on a non-Gmail account (e.g. greg@gregsquire.com, or greg@hotmail.com).
  • The aforementioned issue with being logged into the wrong Google account, or more than one Google account, during OBi / GV setup.  There are two ways to confirm if this is the case.  First, call some number, other than your forwarding phone number, from the OBi-attached phone.  Look at the caller ID number on the called phone's display, and confirm that it shows your correct Google Voice number...not some other number, or "unknown caller" or "private caller".  Second, log into the OBiTALK dashboard and click on your device.  Then, click on the SP1 or whichever slot you assigned to Google Voice.  Click the "accept" warning and look at the basic configuration window that appears.  Examine the Gmail address shown next to "Active Google username" and make darn sure that it is the same Gmail address as the one in your screenshot.
  • If none of these things are the issue, then delete the Google Voice configuration off of your OBi again, and power it off.  Now, while signed into the correct Gmail account, go to this page:  https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions  Look at the list of "Apps connected to your account".  Find and delete Google Voice, with a tiny OBiTALK logo to the left of it.  Delete any suspicious apps you don't recognize or don't use.
  • After you have deleted the Google Voice app permission, stay logged into that Google account, open a new browser tab (press Ctrl-T), and go back to OBiTALK.  Set up Google Voice again on the OBi.

gregsquire

Thanks Steve, the item on your list "You set up this Google Voice service on a non-Gmail account", was the issue. I wish I had known that couldn't be done from the start and I could of saved myself a bunch of grief. Does OBI mention this in their setup somewhere? If so I didn't see it.

Anyway I created a new gmail account to use with this number and now I can both send and receive calls. I'm all good now. Thanks a million again Steve! You're a life saver!  :)

SteveInWA

Awesome!  I almost didn't include that one, so it was fortunate for both of us.  Enjoy.