News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Receiving Texts From International Numbers?

Started by LTN1, April 25, 2016, 02:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTN1

I would really appreciate if Steve or other GV and Hangouts experts could give me guidance on making and receiving international texts while traveling in Europe.

First, would there be a difference between texting with GV versus Hangouts besides the method used (e.g., GV web based vs. Hangouts app)?

Second, is my understanding correct in that while in Europe (assuming I'm connected via WIFI, etc.), I can use GV or Hangouts to call, receive or text (send or receive) to a US number but I will only be able to receive texts from an international number?

I read that GV will only receive international texts--it won't be able to send international texts? Is this understanding accurate? I found the information here: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115116?hl=en

Any additional guidance you can provide would be appreciated.

SteveInWA

The help article you linked is the definitive answer:

International text messages: At this time, Google Voice supports sending text messages to phone numbers in the U.S. and Canada, but you can receive text messages from anywhere in the world. Currently, Google Voice only supports short codes within the U.S.

This doesn't change when you're traveling.  If you're in France, for example, you can send me a text to my Washington phone number, but you can't text anyone in France.  You should still be able to receive text messages from Europe, regardless of your physical location.

You can make and receive telephone calls to any supported country, from any supported country, while traveling, using Hangouts over WiFi.  To avoid nasty phone bills, I suggest turning off your phone's mobile voice and data connection.  Depending on your needs, you might want to consider getting a SIM and some calling credit in whatever country you will be visiting.

Here is the list of countries where calling out via Hangouts is or is not supported:

http://support.google.com/chat/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1267644

Here is the rate look-up table:

https://www.google.com/voice/rates?hl=en&p=hangout

LTN1

Thanks Steve. I appreciate your affirmation in case I was misinterpreting the help article guidance.

Can I assume that switching the Google Voice number to be used exclusively via Hangouts would make no difference when it comes to receiving international texts? Just asking to be certain because I have a GV number that I use SMS exclusively in Hangouts and another one that I prefer to keep it with the traditional GV web based for ease of typing on my desktop. The abilities to receive texts, be they domestically or internationally for those two SMS methods should make no difference--would that be correct?

SteveInWA

Correct; it doesn't matter which user interface you use - Hangouts or Google Voice.  The same rules apply to both.

LTN1

Thanks Steve. I look forward to trying it out this June.