News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Obi for/as medical alert device/system?

Started by QuantiumTech, April 30, 2016, 02:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuantiumTech

The Obi is such a cool and economical device... really great for seniors on a fixed income/tight budget. I'm wondering if there's any way you could integrate some sort of a medical alert pendant - something that dials a specific phone number (the Obi #) when pressed, then combine that with Obi rules so that it calls and/or texts several numbers to say "help needed". Maybe also use some Google Voice rules to accomplish this?

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a way to tell Obi and/or GV to dial a number and play a prerecorded message? If this could be configured, you could theoretically setup a 911 call so that it calls 911 and says, "Help is needed right away at 1234 Sycamore Street." and repeats that over and over. If this could be done, people wouldn't have to pay $15/year for e911 service. I know $15 doesn't seem like much, but I know a lot of seniors who REALLY struggle to get by and literally, every penny counts.

Please help me brainstorm this stuff. Thanks!

SteveInWA

WTF.

Any senior who belongs to AARP and gets their newsletter and magazine, can tell you that there are already are at least a half-dozen companies who make these products.

They're FDA regulated.  You're not going to kludge something together and sell it legally.  And, how do you think it can make a 911 call without having 911 service?

LTN1

Second WTF!

Doubtful GV or OBi is interested in being responsible for the bad acting "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up..." type of scenario in a $70 or less product.

If a person must pay a $15 to $50 co-pay for a doctor's visit--if they can afford to pay $40+ per month for their internet service (that's the only way for GV and the OBi to work), they should be able to pay for E-911 for $15 a year.

Here's a brainstorm...if the $15 per year for E-911 is too much of a hardship, cut the $20 or $40 per month of internet service (it is not crucial to life as we have lived thousands of years without having to surf the web) and just sign up for a Lifeline landline for $7 a month. It will also provide the added security if either the power or internet goes down.

QuantiumTech

RFC3261

Quote from: LTN1 on April 30, 2016, 09:35:35 PM
Second WTF!
Third?

Last I knew, per FCC regulations, even cellphones with no service contract were capable of calling 911.  $0/yr (well, you have to pay to keep them charged, I guess, so not really $0).

A long time ago I used to recommend people that did not have mobile devices carry a motorola zombie apocalypse survival phone in their car (it had a battery life of over a week on standby).

And while I have not checked recently, there were entire groups that provide off-contract discarded, but still operational, phones to people for emergency services.

QuantiumTech

One of the most important aspects of 911 service is having an address tied tot he phone number - in case you're icapacitated, under duress or otherwise unable to speak. Can you register an address to a prepaid phone?

SteveInWA

Read:  https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/911-wireless-services

Aside from GPS and/or network-based location, some prepaid carriers have a way for their customers to provide their street address.  Tying a street address to a mobile phone number isn't very reliable, since the mobile phone customer may be away from home.  However, some mobile phone carriers have a way for their customers to register an address.

Furthermore, if the community and its PSAP subscribe to Smart911, then residents can create a Smart911 profile, and add as many telephone numbers as necessary, mapped to their home address.  Smart911 service is free to consumers, since it's baked into 911 fees.  https://www.smart911.com/