News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PrimaryLine setting trumps 7 digit dialing code setting

Started by kcolsen, March 26, 2016, 11:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcolsen

My OBi1062 set up has three different SPs, all GV accounts. I call them "NM" (SP1), "CA voice" (SP2), and "CA fax" (SP3). (The analog fax card is connected to an OBi202.)

Each SP account has its own line button. The NM account is area code "505", and the CA accounts are area code "925". When I select a line and dial out with 7 digits, I want that line to prepend the correct area code. Instead, for all three accounts, the same area code is prepended. As between 505 and 925, which area code is prepended depends on which SP is set as the default when going off-hook, e.g. by lifting the handset. The factory default is SP1. I changed it to SP2 in IP Phone::Phone Settings::PrimaryLine = SP2 Service because I use the CA (SP2) line more often.

But when I do choose the NM line, and then dial 7 digits, I want 505 prepended. Instead, 925 is prepended even though the 7 digit dialing code option for SP1 is set to 505. That option for SP2 and SP3 is set to 925.

It appears that the choice of the default SP when going off-hook supersedes the setting for the 7 digit dialing code option. I have tested this both ways: e.g. when IP Phone::Phone Settings::PrimaryLine = SP1 Service , then 505 gets prepended to all the SPs. I have also checked that the Service Providers::ITSP Profile [A-C] General::DigitMap correctly mirrors the respective 7 digit dialing code options.

Why does the IP Phone::Phone Settings::PrimaryLine setting trump the 7 digit dialing code option settings?
Kurt

ProfTech

I don't own one of the IP Phones so can't guesstimate what might be happening. however the screen shots you posted are from the web portal. That said, if I were you I would get "under the hood" using the local IP address of the phone and take a close look at the digit maps concerned. It may be that what is shown on the portal is misleading and making the phone operate in a different way than what you think/want it to. One word of warning, don't make any changes in any of the fields while you are in there looking around. The web portal will just change them back. You will need to read the admin guide closely before making any changes, if you see something you might want to try. Just back up the configuration before making any changes and you can just revert back if you need to. You can still make "fancy" changes using the portal but you will need to use the expert mode.

*edited*  I think I understand your issue now. I too don't quite get what the 'line' buttons might  be good for in this case. But the fact that there is only one 'phone' port and a single primary line seems to indicate that you would always need to dial a "steering" code like **2 or similar in order to force it to a particular SP. Even then you would have to experiment to see if it adds the correct area code. As long as you are only dialing 7 digits the system has no way to know which NPA to prefix it with. I'm not sure if there would be a work around or not.  :(

ProfTech

I think I have a simple work around for your setup if you can live with it and if we make several assumptions.

1. Forget about the line buttons since they don't work the way you wanted.
2. Assume if you just pick up the phone and dial all calls will go out on button 1 and that corresponds to SP1.
3. Since all of your calls are going out to GV then you should only need one SP configured.
4. You don't mind dialing a short "service code" for each area [only needed when you dial 7 digits].

Here we go:
1. Your Primary line will be SP1. It should have a simple digit mask of 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx.
2. Pick simple service codes like *1 for NM, *2 for CA.
3. Configure the phone port digit map so when you dial (*1 + 7 digits) it prefixes it with 1505. When you dial (*2 + 7 digits) it prefixes it with 1925. It should look like
*1<:1505>[2-9]xxxxxx|*2<:1925>[2-9]xxxxxx. I see you have something special for fax. You may need to be creative for *3. If you want to add standard 10 digit dialing just add <:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx to the phone port digit map.
4. Lastly, configure the Outbound call route to strip off the *1, *2, etc and send the call to SP1. If you dial 10 digits simply send the call on to SP1 as the phone port will have added the 1 already.

Like I said I don't quite know what you mean for the fax so you may need to adjust for that.

Good luck.

kcolsen

Bit of a delay (taxes etc.) getting back to express my thanks to ProfTech for thoughtful suggestions. Unfortunately, what I'm hoping to achieve is more ambitious. As a first clarification, the "CA Fax" label is arbitrary. It is just a conventional GV number, but it is mapped to both my 1062, and to a 202 ATA with an old-school PC fax card plugged into one of its phone ports.

Please see the attached pics for clarification of my goal. In the 1062 screen shot, the labels tell you what lines you can select. When I select either of the first two buttons labeled "CA voice" and "CA fax", the 1062 prepends area code "925", which is what I want. When I select "NM", I want area code "505" prepended instead of "925". True, I can call a "505" number by entering all 10 digits, but that is clunky.
Kurt

kcolsen

Problem was pinpointed by trying two different sequences for going off-hook. If you go off-hook by lifting the handset, the prepended area code latches to the area code associated with whichever SPx has been set as the default, e.g. if SP1 is area code "505", 505 will be latched as the prepend. Then, with handset in your hand off-hook, if you push another line button to select a different SP, say SP2 that has area code 925, unexpectedly the latched value 505 prepends. Bad, but not new.

Here is what's new: if you first go off-hook by pushing the speaker phone button (not lifting the handset), the default 505 SP1 line button lights, but then when you select the 925 SP2 line button to dial, the 925 area code prepends. That's the correct and expected behavior.

The difference in behavior between first going off-hook with the handset versus first going off-hook with the speakerphone is illogical. It's a firmware problem, not a user configuration problem. 
Kurt

ianobi

I have been trying to reproduce this problem using an OBi1032. My experience has been slightly different.

QuoteIf you go off-hook by lifting the handset, the prepended area code latches to the area code associated with whichever SPx has been set as the default, e.g. if SP1 is area code "505", 505 will be latched as the prepend. Then, with handset in your hand off-hook, if you push another line button to select a different SP, say SP2 that has area code 925, unexpectedly the latched value 505 prepends.

I find that this behaviour is the same if you lift the handset first or push the speaker phone button first.

All works correctly if you press the relevant Line Button first which acts as a speaker phone button, even if you then lift the handset before dialling the digits.

Maybe the OBi1032 behaves differently to the OBi1062 - we will await the next software update to see what changes are made!

kcolsen

OBi Support pushed a fix to my 1062. It works.

No word yet on when/if it will be officially released.
Kurt