News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New customer upset with Obi Support services

Started by brodie7838, May 11, 2016, 02:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brodie7838

Prior to receiving my Obihai device I found a section in one of the User or Admin guides for the device that talked about using word-based variables to dynamically configure certain network-based parameters. I'm trying to find that section again, but failing.

In my specific example, I would like the Obihai to dynamically set its NTP server to the same IP that it received for its Default Gateway during DHCP negotiation (my router is also serving NTP locally). So in the NTP field, I would input something like %DefaultGateway% instead of an actual IP Address, which would tell the device to do what I just described above, basically.

The reason for this is to allow the Obihai to get its NTP time locally, which is considered best practices, and is technically required per NTP Pool's guidelines for using public NTP servers.

Upon asking Obihai support about this function, I was given a canned response that didnt even address my question at all. So I asked them to again review the question and let me know how, or if it's even possible, to accomplish my goal.

Instead of attempting to try and answer the question, I instead got this back:

"Per your request, we have modified your NTPSERVER to 192.168.1.1"

I can't fathom why Obihai support thinks it is acceptable to make remote changes to my device without my express consent, not to mention that I never even mentioned that IP Address, so not sure why they thought they should use it.

When I wrote back expressing my discontent over them making changes to my device without even letting me know, I also stated that they should not make any further changes, and that this is not what I am asking about anyways. Then I get this back:

"We are simply trying to help but obviously you are not happy about it.  So, the change has been reverted back.
We can't offer any further help to your questions."

So not only is Obihai's Support team incapable of grasping "Please don't make any additional changes to my ATA without my permission", they aren't able to even begin to understand the question I'm asking, much less research it in their own documentation or escalate, so they just give up? What the heck?

At this point, I'm no longer comfortable with Obihai even having access to my device now. I thought this cloud integration between hardware and ITSP was great at first, but now that I see my service is one incompetent click away from being broken at any second by Obihai's Support team, I don't trust it or them.

Mango

Look on the bright side: at least you've recognized this earlier than some of us did, and before a significant problem happened.

Check http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide for User Defined Macros.  Perhaps that would do what you want.