News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 Can't Connect/Setup with Google Voice

Started by imno007, May 09, 2016, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imno007

Obi box just stopped working sometime yesterday or today, and when I logged into the site there was a message about needing to change my Obi Google setup to use the same password I use with Google Voice. I'm not understanding this. I'm logged into Google Voice right now, so obviously the password is correct, and the email is definitely the same, and there's no indication from Google that there's anything wrong. But when I try to set up Google Voice on my dashboard here, I keep getting a message that the device can't be confirmed. Do I need to just do a factory reset on it? TIA

imno007

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2016, 04:39:25 PM
Read and follow these instructions completely:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Thanks for the reply. I did go over the steps there but things are still not working. However, I did notice this time when I went to my dashboard page a big notice about an important update being available that's necessary to continue using GV, but it said I have to pay for another year of support to get it...? Sound right? The latest firmware for the 110 on the Latest Firmware page is dated Aug 2014, which I definitely have, and when I pressed ***6 on the phone the automated message said there was no further updates available. So I guess let me search around and see how much I have to pay out to ransom the device.  :-\

Taoman

Quote from: imno007 on May 09, 2016, 05:14:17 PM

the Latest Firmware page is dated Aug 2014, which I definitely have,

If that was the case you wouldn't get prompted to update your firmware. Here is the latest version:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2872.fw

Download and install manually. Then reconfigure your GV configuration.

SteveInWA

Either your reading comprehension skills suck, and/or you were too lazy to search through the forum.  The very first thing I said in my linked set of instructions was:

Note:  If you haven't upgraded the firmware on your OBi device in the past year or longer, then you must upgrade it now, so that your device includes support for Google's approved authentication protocol.  You can download the latest firmware for free, regardless of the age of your device, here in the forum's firmware section.

The firmware is here:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-latest.fw

Simply download it, then log into your OBi's local web page to upload and install it.  Dial ***1 on your OBi-attached telephone keypad to hear your device's IP address, then enter that IP address in your web browser, and go to System Management --> Device Update-->Firmware Update to install the current firmware.

imno007

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2016, 05:29:51 PM
Either your reading comprehension skills suck, and/or you were too lazy to search through the forum.  The very first thing I said in my linked set of instructions was:

Note:  If you haven't upgraded the firmware on your OBi device in the past year or longer, then you must upgrade it now, so that your device includes support for Google's approved authentication protocol.  You can download the latest firmware for free, regardless of the age of your device, here in the forum's firmware section.

The firmware is here:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-latest.fw

Simply download it, then log into your OBi's local web page to upload and install it.  Dial ***1 on your OBi-attached telephone keypad to hear your device's IP address, then enter that IP address in your web browser, and go to System Management --> Device Update-->Firmware Update to install the current firmware.

My reading comprehension skills are fine. I assumed, though, that you were linking to the latest firmware shown on the Latest Firmware updates page, which looked to me to be from August 2014. Seems like a reasonable assumption to me. If the latest update really were from August of 2014, why would I have wanted to install it? In retrospect, I can see now that the latest date was either just never updated for whatever reason, or maybe what I was seeing was simply the last edit date for the post rather than the actual date of the latest firmware. Whatever. Anyway, thanks for the update, if not the attitude.

imno007

Quote from: Taoman on May 09, 2016, 05:27:32 PM
Quote from: imno007 on May 09, 2016, 05:14:17 PM

the Latest Firmware page is dated Aug 2014, which I definitely have,

If that was the case you wouldn't get prompted to update your firmware. Here is the latest version:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2872.fw

Download and install manually. Then reconfigure your GV configuration.

Read my last post above. Also, I've had this device for more a few years now and this is the first time it hasn't updated automatically for me, so yeah, it just wasn't something that seemed likely to me at the time: that I needed to do a manual update. And unfortunately it also happened to coincide with some other major internet issues I was having, (just got a new modem 2 days ago to fix it), so firmware just didn't seem the likely culprit at first. My mistake, obviously.

imno007

And after all that....

QuotePrevious version identical to the update. Firmware not modified.

SteveInWA

Well then, you can simply ignore that ominous-sounding advertising message if you don't want to buy a year of telephone support.  As long as you are now at the current firmware level, and you are starting with a factory-reset OBi, and you follow the instructions, you'll have a "happy ending".

imno007

Okay, got it working again. I'm still not sure why it stopped working, since there never was a problem with my GV password, I'd never changed it, and I obviously didn't have to do a firmware update, but all's well that ends well. I shut down the PC, reset my modem, reset the OBi, then used another browser to do the update. Just mentioning all of this for the record, but I'm pretty sure the problem was with the browser. I have Ghostery installed on FF and I think it was blocking some necessary script, because the GV confirmation step was appearing as a separate page, not as a popup. And yes, I had read that it was a popup, I just wasn't clear on that it had to be a popup. Heh, it was an old post. Anyway, when I switched to Chrome (no Ghostery or other addon's), it was a popup and I got the confirmation.

Sorry to any staff if it seemed like I was jumping to conclusions on the whole have-to-pay-to-update thing, but in my defense I did get that big yellow popup saying there was some very important update I needed - and there obviously wasn't a new upgrade. I'm guessing it was some just some old,outdated message making a reappearance.

imno007

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2016, 07:03:26 PM
Well then, you can simply ignore that ominous-sounding advertising message if you don't want to buy a year of telephone support.  As long as you are now at the current firmware level, and you are starting with a factory-reset OBi, and you follow the instructions, you'll have a "happy ending".

Yep, see my last message above. Thanks

SteveInWA

There's been a lot of grousing here and there about the message regarding the fee.  It's essentially an advertisement, inviting you to pay for another year of technical support, but it's worded to sound like it's mandatory, which it isn't.

DShah

@imno007 : can you please share how you finally got it to work?
I have done all of those steps you mentioned and still am stuck on the same page even after trying on multiple different machines and browsers.
On clicking "Google Voice Setup" button in the Obitalk portal, shows a list of approved providers and then clicking on Google Voice just takes me back to the previous page.

@SteveInWA: I did the device reset and followed the instructions in the link you gave to your tutorial steps - my firmware was already at the same version. After factory reset of Obi110 and then adding back to portal, I am trying to setup GV but the result is same. Clicking on Google Voice Setup brings me back to the same portal page.

Appreciate your help - Thanks!

DShah

@SteveInWA : Hats off to you for the quick and detailed replies!

Yes, that's exactly what's happening to my Obi 110 as well.

Obi to Obi calls are working fine though - will watch that thread for your replies.

Thanks!

DShah

Thanks @yorktown - that worked perfectly!

dstange

Quote from: yorktown on May 18, 2016, 10:00:18 PM
This is a solution for the OBI 100 device: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11256.msg73954#msg73954

Thank you sir, came home to no GV today, and your link solved it. I didn't have to delete and re-add devices. It just started working.

sirwatkyn

OK, having followed this thread, I have made sure I have the latest firmware on my Obi110, but it still refuses to login to Google Voice.  Before the updated firmware, it would fail and say "backing off" in the status page.  Now, after the firmware update, it says "service not configured" in the SP1 Service Status on the portal's home page.  However, when I check the Google Voice login credentials under the SP1 service profile, I see the proper Google email address and password entered.

So, why am I getting a message that the service is not configured, and what do I need to do to rectify this?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: sirwatkyn on June 24, 2016, 05:47:32 AM
OK, having followed this thread, I have made sure I have the latest firmware on my Obi110, but it still refuses to login to Google Voice.  Before the updated firmware, it would fail and say "backing off" in the status page.  Now, after the firmware update, it says "service not configured" in the SP1 Service Status on the portal's home page.  However, when I check the Google Voice login credentials under the SP1 service profile, I see the proper Google email address and password entered.

So, why am I getting a message that the service is not configured, and what do I need to do to rectify this?

Thanks.

Read and follow the full instructions:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0