News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 Can't Connect/Setup with Google Voice

Started by imno007, May 09, 2016, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirwatkyn

Steve, thanks for reply and link.

I have to use ObiTalk to reset my Google credentials, rather than doing this on the device's home page?  If I use ObiTalk, won't it also reset a lot of other custom settings from the configuration home page?  I always heard that ObiTalk overwrites device settings.  I have custom ring settings, etc., that I don't wihs to lose.

Thanks again.

SteveInWA

Yes, you must use the OBiTALK portal to configure an OBi to use Google Voice.

You have two choices:

1)  Convert over to managing your device from the portal, which will overwrite the local configuration, and you will need to manually update your custom settings, or

2)  Backup your local device settings on the local web page interface.  Then attach the device to the portal, configure Google Voice, and then remove it from the portal and restore your local settings.

sirwatkyn

Steve:

OK, I remain flummoxed. 

I tried to go to ObiTalk page to provision Google Voice, but wind up in the mentioned circular loop, warning me that my firmware may be out of date, even though I have updated to the latest, as per your link.  ObiTalk shows neither my Google Voice (SP1) as connected nor does it have any information on my VOIP.MS (SP2) account, which is connected and running properly.

What steps are necessary to resolve this now?  I can't understand what could have happened to make Google Voice suddenly inaccessible, after it's worked perfectly previously.  I assume that it must be something on the Google side, as there were no changes to my Obi.  I had had "insecure" logins turned on in my Google account for this number, and previously everything worked just fine.

Now, I've gone from connected, to "backing off," to "not configured" after the last firmware update. 

Please excuse if this issue is redundant, but I would like to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Thanks again.

SteveInWA

Quote from: sirwatkyn on June 24, 2016, 08:53:16 AM
Steve:

OK, I remain flummoxed. 

I tried to go to ObiTalk page to provision Google Voice, but wind up in the mentioned circular loop, warning me that my firmware may be out of date, even though I have updated to the latest, as per your link.  ObiTalk shows neither my Google Voice (SP1) as connected nor does it have any information on my VOIP.MS (SP2) account, which is connected and running properly.

What steps are necessary to resolve this now?  I can't understand what could have happened to make Google Voice suddenly inaccessible, after it's worked perfectly previously.  I assume that it must be something on the Google side, as there were no changes to my Obi.  I had had "insecure" logins turned on in my Google account for this number, and previously everything worked just fine.

Now, I've gone from connected, to "backing off," to "not configured" after the last firmware update. 

Please excuse if this issue is redundant, but I would like to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Thanks again.

I don't know what you've done wrong, but deleting the device off of the OBiTALK portal, factory-resetting it, and then following the **5 procedure to add it back would be the best way go get back up and running.  It's time to bite the bullet and clean up whatever configuration issues are causing the problem.

Once again, read and follow the instructions, including the complete instructions to configure Google Voice at the bottom of this linked post:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 24, 2016, 07:38:45 AM
Yes, you must use the OBiTALK portal to configure an OBi to use Google Voice.

You have two choices:

1)  Convert over to managing your device from the portal, which will overwrite the local configuration, and you will need to manually update your custom settings, or

2)  Backup your local device settings on the local web page interface.  Then attach the device to the portal, configure Google Voice, and then remove it from the portal and restore your local settings.

There is a third option which is a variation on the first of those.  Before changing to permanently using the portal's Expert mode you can backup your settings to a file and import that settings file into the Expert mode.

sirwatkyn

OK, here's the latest:

I have factory reset the Obi110.  I have deleted and added again the device to the ObiTalk portal.  The ObiTalk portal can configure my VOIP.MS account, no problem.  BUT, it still refuses to add my Googe account, instead constantly returning with the warning that my device or software may be out of date.  Yet, this is after flashing the latest firmware, as provided in your link (http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2872.fw).  I'm assuming this is the correct firmware?

In any case, I can't imagine what else to do, as the unit has been reset from scratch and re-added to ObiTalk.  Since the VOIP.MS account works perfectly, I'm assuming I have no hardware problem.

If you have another good idea to try, I'm happy to hear it.

P.S.  Would it be of any use to go back to the Google security settings and re-enable using "secure" settings, rather than the option for older "insecure" devices?

SteveInWA

Quote from: sirwatkyn on June 24, 2016, 10:07:28 AM
OK, here's the latest:

I have factory reset the Obi110.  I have deleted and added again the device to the ObiTalk portal.  The ObiTalk portal can configure my VOIP.MS account, no problem.  BUT, it still refuses to add my Googe account, instead constantly returning with the warning that my device or software may be out of date.  Yet, this is after flashing the latest firmware, as provided in your link (http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2872.fw).  I'm assuming this is the correct firmware?

In any case, I can't imagine what else to do, as the unit has been reset from scratch and re-added to ObiTalk.  Since the VOIP.MS account works perfectly, I'm assuming I have no hardware problem.

If you have another good idea to try, I'm happy to hear it.

P.S.  Would it be of any use to go back to the Google security settings and re-enable using "secure" settings, rather than the option for older "insecure" devices?

By now, there are a bazillion different threads about this issue, and unfortunatelyh, you read an old, and now-out-of-date link.  The firmware build you need is 2886.  If you followed my instructions, which I linked in my last post, you would have updated to the "latest" build, which is 2886.

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-latest.fw

sirwatkyn

Thanks for that updated firmware link.

Well, now, progress to report, but a new problem.  Google has been properly provisioned and is working perfectly on SP1, but, now, after the firmware update, my VOIP.MS account refuses to register correctly, and ObiTalk reports:  "Failure: 403 Forbidden."  I have checked the login credentials and passord, and they're correct, and I have chosen several of the different server options listed by Obitalk for this provider, but none register correctly and all return the above warning.

Any idea on what's wrong now and how I should proceed?

Many thanks.  I really appreciate your help and patience.

SteveInWA

That error message most likely means that you didn't enter the correct SIP user name and password.  These may be different than a user name and password to access your voip.ms account portal page.  I don't use voip.ms, so one of the other folks here might be able to answer that.

Meanwhile, you ought to be able to log into your voip.ms account and look at your SIP user name and change the password, and then use those values.

sirwatkyn

Steve:

Many thanks.  Now successful all around.

It turned out that the problem was that VOIP.MS had updated their password requirement to 8 digits from 6, but would accept logins from existing devices.  So it worked until the Obi firmware was updated and ObiTalk tried to reprovision the system using the old 6-digit password.  Once I established a new 8-digit password, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks again.

SteveInWA

Grrrreat!  I'm glad you got it all sorted out.