News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Router flooded with warnings concerning OBi100

Started by TiltSmurf, May 20, 2016, 07:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiltSmurf

I just installed a new Ubiquiti router and when browsing the system log it appears that every 30 seconds there is a warning log entry about a "martian destination 0.21.68.160" received from my OBi100 device.  Is there a way to stop this from the OBi100?

Mango

That is a very interesting error.

For testing purposes, try to disable your OBiTALK service, and all SPx services.  Verify that the messages stop, then re-enable your services one-by-one to see which one is causing the problem.

Let us know how things go.

RFC3261

Quote from: TiltSmurf on May 20, 2016, 07:47:00 AM
I just installed a new Ubiquiti router and when browsing the system log it appears that every 30 seconds there is a warning log entry about a "martian destination 0.21.68.160" received from my OBi100 device.  Is there a way to stop this from the OBi100?
"set firewall log-martians disable" will likely stop the messages :-)

I do not think I have seen such messages from my obi devices.  I would review the device configuration on the obi local web server and insure that all the IP related entries are correct and valid (including any ntp and syslog server IP addresses on the device admin pages).  It is possible your dhcp server is providing "interesting" values, so reviewing your edgerouter config might be necessary too.

TiltSmurf

Quote from: Mango on May 20, 2016, 08:05:53 AM
That is a very interesting error.

For testing purposes, try to disable your OBiTALK service, and all SPx services.  Verify that the messages stop, then re-enable your services one-by-one to see which one is causing the problem.

Let us know how things go.

Okay after a bit of investigation it looks like the OBiTALK service is the source.  I can't permanently leave OBiTALK disabled however, can I?

TiltSmurf

Quote from: RFC3261 on May 20, 2016, 08:11:49 AM
"set firewall log-martians disable" will likely stop the messages :-)

I do not think I have seen such messages from my obi devices.  I would review the device configuration on the obi local web server and insure that all the IP related entries are correct and valid (including any ntp and syslog server IP addresses on the device admin pages).  It is possible your dhcp server is providing "interesting" values, so reviewing your edgerouter config might be necessary too.

Thanks for the ideas!  Yes, I too thought about simply setting log-martians to disable.  However, I would like to get to the root of the problem if possible.

TiltSmurf

BTW here's the exact log entry:
Quoteubnt-franklin0 kernel: IPv4: martian destination 0.21.68.160 from 192.168.0.2, dev switch0
It also occurs regularly at exactly 30 second intervals.  Hope this helps. 

Mango

Quote from: TiltSmurf on May 20, 2016, 10:37:25 AMOkay after a bit of investigation it looks like the OBiTALK service is the source.  I can't permanently leave OBiTALK disabled however, can I?

If you don't use OBiTALK service, you can disable it.

If you do use OBiTALK service, but only for configuring your ATA, you could enable it when you want to use it and disable it otherwise.