News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 trouble w/ voip.ms since ~Oct 12

Started by Steve_M, November 06, 2016, 07:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mango

Quote from: Steve_M on November 06, 2016, 06:29:09 PM* * X_KeepAliveEnable () - unchecked

I missed this before.  Now that your device is behind a router, X_KeepAliveEnable should be checked.

If my guess is right, you are experiencing the same problem, with a different cause.

Steve_M

Checking that box and going back to UDP - just so I'm only changing & testing one thing at a time.

Mango

Give the echo test (free) a call at 4443, check on it in 16 minutes, and let's see what happens!

Steve_M

17 minutes, so I'm 1 for 1!

Will report back in a few days.

Thanks again for your help & advice.

Steve_M

No luck, still dropping at 15 minutes.  Thanks in advance if there's anything left to try :D

Taoman

Quote from: Steve_M on November 18, 2016, 06:29:05 PM
No luck, still dropping at 15 minutes.  Thanks in advance if there's anything left to try :D

I would suggest trying a different endpoint device to register to your VoIP.ms DID and see if you still have the problem.

You could download Phonerlite and configure it on your computer for your VoIP.ms DID. Phonerlite has pretty good Debug screens/logs.
Make sure your OBi no longer registers to VoIP.ms and that Phonerlite does. Make some phone calls using Phonerlite and see if you run into the same problem at the 15 minute mark. If so, check your debug screen to see what happened. If you don't have a headset (or microphone) for your computer you should be able to just call a radio station and let it play for the 15 minutes.
Some example numbers:

6415525046  Liberty Radio Network
7124326610  PBS News Hour
7124325335  BBC World Service

If you don't want to use your computer you could use a SIP client (CSipSimple or Zoiper) on a smartphone via WiFi. But I am unsure of the logging/debug capabilities of those SIP clients.

Steve_M

Thanks Taoman, I'll look into an alternate device.

In the meantime, I've been combing my syslog trying to find anything that seems inconsistent or error-like.

I do see a number of messages every 30-31 seconds, repeating as follows.  Based on the block of text following each one, they seem to represent a REGISTER, OPTIONS, REGISTER, NOTIFY respectively.  Lots of other text I can sanitize and share if this is worth pursuing.

[Nov 20 22:20:33][192.x.x.x]SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized
[Nov 20 22:20:33][192.x.x.x]SIP/2.0 200 OK

Mango

A 401 is typical.  It's the switch responding with a challenge, then your device sends back another REGISTER packet with the response to the challenge.

Steve_M

Going to start over.

1) Removed SP1
2) Deleted device from Obi site, and performed factory reset as instructed here: https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset
3) Added device through Obi Dashboard (**5 #### process)
4) Completed manual setup here: http://wiki.voip.ms/article/OBi_100/110 (Manual Configuration Details section)

And now a test call to my cell phone.

Two questions please:

1) My test calls to the Echo Test (4443) have always worked - does that narrow down the source of the problem, or just luck?
2) What setting can I change to make the drop happen sooner?  I'm not sure I see anything that is defaulted to 900 seconds.  Probably sounds silly, but I'd rather iterate more quickly at this point.

Mango

2) As far as I'm aware, the OBi does not allow you to change the session interval.

Shot in the dark: what if you disable Service Providers >> ITSP Profile X >> SIP >> X_SessionRefresh?

The downside to doing this is if you hang up and due to a network issue VoIP.ms doesn't receive your BYE packet, and the other side also doesn't disconnect, the call would run for VoIP.ms's maximum time limit (probably 90 minutes or so).  I would imagine this scenario would be exceedingly rare.

I have never actually tested this option, but I think it's worth a try.

Steve_M

No abruptly ended calls since the complete reset as described in my 11/22 post.  (~5 calls successes >15min duration).

I wish I had a more specific setting/fix to share, but I don't.

Thanks again Mango & Taoman for your suggestions, and anyone else who gave my trouble some thought. 

Appreciate the community that supports the device - without it, my Obi would already be at the recyclers! :)