News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi/Google Voice disconnecting overnight

Started by since83, May 18, 2016, 04:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gray2283

Can anyone confirm that the 2886 firmware that toaman linked fixes the problem?
Im getting auth errors and am being told I need to purchase support.  

EDIT  The update fixed the problem

Brisk

Dialing ***6, 1 will update firmware if a firmware update is available.

Or download the file manually and update your ATA without using the portal

Mango

Will that work though, if OBi-latest.fw isn't actually the latest?

Brisk

Quote from: Mango on May 19, 2016, 01:11:25 AM
Will that work though, if OBi-latest.fw isn't actually the latest?

Yes.

OBi-latest.fw needs to be manually updated by Obihai staff.
***6 does not.

LetsTalk

I've tried ***6, and it says "Software Update Not available"

My obi is on firmware ending in 2872.  I downloaded the 2886 firmware from Taoman's link, but cannot log into the IP address (which I confirmed with ***1).

Admin admin doesn't work, nor any name or email & password or admin combo that I can find in my notes for my Obi account. 

Any way to reset the password for the IP's "authentication required" box?

Mango

https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset

Note that the username is always admin and it is never an email address.

DonJ

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 18, 2016, 05:48:33 PM

• Download and save the .fw file from Taoman's link.
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.

So the IP is a 10.0.*.* number.

vtsnaab

Update on my Obi110:
For a couple of days it disconnected overnight & I had to re-authenticate to get it back online;
Today when I got up it was still connected & working normally.
I have done nothing aside of re-authenticating...

Any ideas from anyone about how this somehow mysteriously seems to have resolved itself ??

Thanks.

Mango

Check your firmware; did it auto-update?

vtsnaab

Is there a star code to check the FW version, please ??
I have re-read this entire thread and do not see that detail, maybe I missed it ?!?

mikepanic

Been having the same problems for the last 3 days, come into the office and the phone doesn't work.  Simply logging in and re-entering my Google login fixed the problem.  Yesterday I ordered an OBi200, thinking maybe the hardware was just dying.

This morning I tried to do the same thing, re-enter my Google info, except I couldn't.  I was forced to pay $10 since my service contract had expired from original purchase to do the firmware update, and it now works.  Not really thrilled about this, who charges for firmware updates?

I'm going to keep the Obi200 on the shelf for a few weeks and if the Obi100 I have has no more problems, I'll return the 200 to Amazon.

Mango

Too bad you didn't read the forum first - you can upgrade the firmware manually to save the $10 fee.

mikepanic

Quote from: Mango on May 19, 2016, 09:08:15 AM
Too bad you didn't read the forum first - you can upgrade the firmware manually to save the $10 fee.

The wording on the device page had no indication it was a firmware issue, rather an authentication issue with Google.

I don't have time to dig through the forums, honestly I'm just disappointment in OBi for not being more transparent with the issue or sending out a newsletter.  Relying on user generated forums for support isn't ideal. 

Mango

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 19, 2016, 08:47:28 AMIs there a star code to check the FW version, please ??

Yes, you can use ***01#.

Alternately, the SoftwareVersion (same thing) is displayed on the device's internal web server under Status >> System Status.

If the problem returns, try to dial ***6, 1.  If that doesn't work, follow the instructions at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11256.msg73954#msg73954 .  Let us know how things go.

Quote from: mikepanic on May 19, 2016, 09:29:28 AMThe wording on the device page had no indication it was a firmware issue, rather an authentication issue with Google.

Yep.  Obihai's behaviour is pretty deceptive, imho.  It's gone on long enough now (months) that there's no real possibility that was a mistake.

Quote from: LetsTalk on May 19, 2016, 10:00:25 AMThank you, Mango!  That got me in, I uploaded the fw file, updated, my phone is back.

Sweet :D

DonJ

Rebooted it several times, nothing happened. Walked away, a few hours later it is back working.

EDIT:  So I did the firmware update, manually, as I  have done in the past, and now the unit is a blinking red / green light only. My dashboard status says "offline".

EDIT:  After ~10 minutes of the blinking red / green I disconnected the power, the first time for ~20 seconds, still the same. The second time for ~1 minute, it successfully rebooted. Firmware 2886 is running. I hope this ends the several days of problems, until the next firmware upgrade anyway.

Mango

Quote from: Mango on May 18, 2016, 07:57:04 PMYou didn't answer my question.  Actually, I didn't phrase it like a question, so let me do so:

Why is a Google Voice password stored on my device any less secure than a SIP password, and what specific risk do I assume by using password authentication?

SteveInWA, if you're going to call me names, I'd appreciate a technical explanation of why what I'm doing is wrong.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mango on May 19, 2016, 06:21:15 PM
Quote from: Mango on May 18, 2016, 07:57:04 PMYou didn't answer my question.  Actually, I didn't phrase it like a question, so let me do so:

Why is a Google Voice password stored on my device any less secure than a SIP password, and what specific risk do I assume by using password authentication?

SteveInWA, if you're going to call me names, I'd appreciate a technical explanation of why what I'm doing is wrong.

I am tired of playing word games with you.  You know that this was a policy decision made by Google.  If you want to continue to disagree with the policy decision, and Google continues to leave the direct authentication method open, then knock yourself out.

Obihai went to great lengths to cooperate with Google, and to update its device firmware to support Google's required OAUTH 2.0 authentication method, so that its customers could continue using the service.  This is an Obihai company-sponsored support forum, not DSLR.  Advocating here that users should not update their device firmware, and/or should not follow Google's approved authentication method doesn't belong here, and is likely to eventually get you banned off of the forum.

Given that there are only a very small number of OBi 1x0 devices left in the wild with the pre-OAUTH firmware, it's also a moot point, and only serves to distract current product owners from using their devices as currently supported.

Dale

thanks, yesterday we had a power failure and so when the power came on our three Obi 100 boxes rebooted and today the phones had the warning to pay $10 to update....

I downloaded the 2886 firmware, made the updates and now the GV accounts are working again!

Thanks all!

janice

I was #7 post on this thread. Yesterday I got my obi100 to stop backing off and it worked all day. I switched my incoming to callcentric, and left my outgoing to GV.

Tonight, about 30 hours later, I went to dial out and got an automated google voice message stating my password had changed (it hadn't). Then on the obi site it went straight to the $10 request page. My machine has been up since 2012 and this is the first I'd seen that.

I came back to this thread and used the firmware that Taoman had provided and I wanted to say thanks.

I also want to say that this company is insane if this is how they approach needing money. I would be HAPPY to pay money every year to use this product, just send me a damn polite email. even though I have an unopened obi200 sitting on a shelf, it's now officially a paperweight because ObiHai has really screwed up with me.

Instead of being normal and sending out an email, asking for a subscription they basically borked my device and made me go spelunking through these forums. I'm not going to tolerate this misguided bullshit it's not worth it.

Thanks to all the kind people who are supporting others. I hope you all keep up the nice kind work, but frankly Obi is rotting. This is just no way to treat customers. They have my email, and email is at least been common for 20 years. Send a damn email and ask for money, don't hijack my device and demand ransom. I will never suggest this product to anyone ever again , in this lifetime or my next.

But nice people -- please have a great weekend and thanks again for getting me up and running until I find a replacement for this company. I'm happy to pay 10x what they are asking, just not to them.

SteveInWA

Quote from: janice on May 20, 2016, 08:43:29 PM
I was #7 post on this thread. Yesterday I got my obi100 to stop backing off and it worked all day. I switched my incoming to callcentric, and left my outgoing to GV.

Tonight, about 30 hours later, I went to dial out and got an automated google voice message stating my password had changed (it hadn't). Then on the obi site it went straight to the $10 request page. My machine has been up since 2012 and this is the first I'd seen that.

I came back to this thread and used the firmware that Taoman had provided and I wanted to say thanks.

I also want to say that this company is insane if this is how they approach needing money. I would be HAPPY to pay money every year to use this product, just send me a damn polite email. even though I have an unopened obi200 sitting on a shelf, it's now officially a paperweight because ObiHai has really screwed up with me.

Instead of being normal and sending out an email, asking for a subscription they basically borked my device and made me go spelunking through these forums. I'm not going to tolerate this misguided bullshit it's not worth it.

Thanks to all the kind people who are supporting others. I hope you all keep up the nice kind work, but frankly Obi is rotting. This is just no way to treat customers. They have my email, and email is at least been common for 20 years. Send a damn email and ask for money, don't hijack my device and demand ransom. I will never suggest this product to anyone ever again , in this lifetime or my next.

But nice people -- please have a great weekend and thanks again for getting me up and running until I find a replacement for this company. I'm happy to pay 10x what they are asking, just not to them.

I'm not going to defend Obihai's lack of basic communications regarding this issue, but I'll point out that it was related to the authorization keys used by OBi devices to access users' Google accounts.  Obihai quickly released a firmware update to fix the problem.  So, your OBi 100 device is now good to go, and your OBi 200 device was not involved at all in this issue, so, it is also ready to be used whenever you wish to upgrade.  I wouldn't abandon the products over poor customer communications.