News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configure *67 To Use Different Service Provider

Started by Steve56, May 18, 2016, 07:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve56

As of late, I've been finding myself needing a way to withhold my caller ID from being displayed when placing calls to certain numbers. Being that Google Voice doesn't allow caller ID making or spoofing (you can dial *67 but it won't do anything) is there a way either through digit maps or outbound call routing that the Obi can be configured to use SP2 whenever *67 is dialed before a phone number?

I ask because I can use a separate Google Voice account which has no Google Voice number. Calling from such an account causes a generic phone number to be displayed on the called party's phone.

Is this even possible?

SteveInWA

It sounds like you've provisioned one of your OBi's SP slots to use a Google account that doesn't have its own Google Voice number.  In that case, yes, outbound calls will be made with no caller ID ("unknown caller" or "restricted" will appear on the called party's caller ID display).

If, for example, you configured SP2 with this Google account, then simply dial a **2 before dialing the number, and your OBi will place the call using that account.

Steve56

That's what I've doing, and it works well. I asked about remapping *67 because I've been having difficulty trying to teach multiple family members they can no longer dial *67 to hide their caller ID. Is remapping a star code to use a different service provider (**2) possible?

SteveInWA

How hard could it possibly be to instruct people to dial **2 first?  How often is this even necessary?

These days, most people won't answer calls with anonymous caller ID, since they're usually spam/robocalling, so I fail to see how useful it is to make anonymous calls.  Also keep in mind that any toll-free numbers you call will receive your caller ID regardless of whether or not you attempt to block it.

drgeoff

Have a read of http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi-DigitMapCallRoute-Tutorial-v1-1.pdf.

The **2 thing is not hardwired into OBis. Probably you can change that to *67 though that being a star code may require extra work.

If there are some dialled numbers that you always want to use SP2,  your OBi can be programmed to recognise them and automatically use a specific SP of your choosing without needing to press any extra keys. The tutorial covers that too.

Steve56

It really isn't the difficulty I'm trying to avoid; it's the familiarity and similarity to the traditional PSTN that I'm trying to emulate. There are plenty of scenarios that come to mind that deem caller ID blocking necessary, especially for those instances when making a one-off call to a coworker, acquaintance, etc. and you don't necessarily want them to have your phone number. So far, I've consulted several older forum postings of similar but not-quite-the-same issues.

So far, I've tried modifying the outbound call routing, digit map, and even the star code profile unsuccessfully.

My first attempt was using the outbound call route:
{(*67XXXXXXXXXXX?):SP2},{(1167XXXXXXXXXXX?):SP2}

(going off the digit map guide linked above, a ? denotes that 10 or 11 digit numbers will be accepted)

(1167 is for use with my rotary phones that don't have a * key)

I also tried using the digit map approach:
(*671xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.):SP2)

I even went so far as to try this in the star code profile:
*67(<sp2>)

All of the above configuration changes were made and tested independent of one another (not all at once).

Put simply, I'm wondering if there is a way to create your own custom star code or even a non-star code (e.g. 1157) to access a different service provider. In essence, dialing *67 is the same as dialing **2.

ianobi

This example uses an OBi110 config, but I'm sure that you get the idea:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > DigitMap:
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|*67(Msp2)|1167(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute:
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<*67:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<1167:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

No need to change any digit maps.

Additionally, you need to delete or change the OBi existing Star Code that contains the *67 code to prevent it from intercepting your use of *67.

Steve56

I'd like to make this belated reply to thank all who contributed to this post. As it turns out, the approach offered by ianobi works perfectly, emulating a POTS line exactly. Thanks!