News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV via Chrome extension not working for Google Talk

Started by tseward, March 28, 2016, 01:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tseward

I have been for years using the Google Voice Chrome Extension as a call back feature. When I select the number via web page then click GV chrome extension of course selecting google talk as phone to call with and it always rings my desk where I pick up and the call is connected.

Now when I try it is giving me an error "please try again".   Has this chrome extension changed and no longer allows you to call google talk? Is there a work around?

Is anyone else getting this issue?

SteveInWA

That calling method is no longer supported by Google.

You'll have to add (or use an existing) 10-digit forwarding phone number to your list of forwarding phones in Google Voice Settings, and use that number to bridge the calls.  If you have, or get, a SIP VoIP number (for example, a freebie from Callcentric), you can provision it on your OBi device and have Google Voice ring that number on your OBi-attached phone, as before.

mz_guy

Is there a workaround without introducing a third-party and the accompanying shortcomings?

I used to use this method with CallCentric, but cancelled it after Obi and Google announced that devices are now supported.

I suppose the real question is, how long before Google Voice is no longer supported by Google?

SteveInWA

I just gave you the workaround.  That's it.  It is easy, and it works, with the same number of mouse-clicks.  No, Google isn't going to abandon OBi devices.  This is just Google getting rid of very old, obsolete software that is too costly to continue to maintain, when perfectly good alternatives are now in place.

JoshuaRyan

I've run into this issue as well, started after my most recent firmware update to my OBihai 202.  Can anyone confirm if it's truly disabled by google at this point?

SteveInWA

Yes, the features in Google Voice that relied on Google Chat/Talk, have been permanently shut down.  Google is keeping the underlying XMPP protocol alive only as an accommodation to OBi users, to connect to the service to make and receive calls; all of the application-level features in Google Voice that didn't rely on Chat are still available and supported.

Obihai now uses Google's OAUTH 2.0 authentication protocol to authorize access to a Google user's account, which provides basic access to the XMPP calling feature, and to the user's Google Contacts list.  It would be up to Obihai to develop any other features, using the currently-supported WebRTC infrastructure used by Hangouts.

chilirock

Hi Steve,

What do you think is Google's motivation to continue to support XMPP "as an accommodation to OBi users"? Is XMPP only used by Obi devices or is it used for other services/devices as well? Just curious to hear your thoughts on the longevity of the support for the protocol.

SteveInWA

Quote from: chilirock on April 11, 2016, 10:46:05 AM
Hi Steve,

What do you think is Google's motivation to continue to support XMPP "as an accommodation to OBi users"? Is XMPP only used by Obi devices or is it used for other services/devices as well? Just curious to hear your thoughts on the longevity of the support for the protocol.

Well, you could ask why Google continues to support Google Voice itself.  It's likely not a huge revenue generator.  Google isn't a charity; it's a business.  So, why?  It's one more thing that encourages users to stay in the Google ecosystem, reading advertisements, and not leaving for Facebook or Skype or some other service.  The folks that manage Google Voice and Hangouts simply like the OBi devices, and many Googlers use them, too.  So, they're happy to help keep the door open for them to continue working, as long as it doesn't require a large expenditure in personnel to support something that isn't strategic to their business.  I am not a Google employee, and I can't predict the future, but, based on what I know from my interactions with the team, I don't expect them to shut out Obihai's products.  Here's a hint:  search for news on Google Fiber's new phone service, which will use the same Google Voice infrastructure.  How do you think it works?

GopherSlayer

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 28, 2016, 01:48:55 PM

If you have, or get, a SIP VoIP number (for example, a freebie from Callcentric), you can provision it on your OBi device and have Google Voice ring that number on your OBi-attached phone, as before.
Thanks for the suggestion SteveInWA! I found this forum port using a Google search of the error message I have been getting from the Google Voice extension for Chrome when trying to place calls with that tool to my Obi adapter. I followed your instructions above and I am now making free calls again through this extension using my brand new Callcentric number with free unlimited incoming calls (as my outgoing calls through the GV Chrome extension are treated as incoming calls by Callcentric).  :)

TIPs for other readers of this forum post who may need help following SteveInWA's advise:

1. When adding your Callcentric account to your Obi adapter using the ObiTalk website be sure to enter your Callcentric SIP number with 777 prefix as your "Callcentric Number" instead of your Free Callcentric phone number (eg, 631 area code).

Do this first before configuring Google Voice as Google Voice needs a phone to call to verify any new numbers you are adding.

2. When adding your Callcentric number to Google Voice be sure to enter your Free Callcentric phone number (eg, 631 area code) and NOT the SIP number from  TIP #1 above (777 prefix).

Dale

I used to use this a lot too...

one question, if I use the callcentric number, will it use that number for my caller ID? Or can I set it up to use my GV number so that it appears that I am calling from my GV nummber?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Dale on May 20, 2016, 08:07:32 AM
I used to use this a lot too...

one question, if I use the callcentric number, will it use that number for my caller ID? Or can I set it up to use my GV number so that it appears that I am calling from my GV nummber?

The solution is to use Google Voice (actually, Google Chat) for all outbound calls, but route INbound calls through Callcentric.  This has been thoroughly discussed here on the forum, many times.

For example:

• Configure SP1 for Google Voice, and select it as the SP to use by default for outbound calls.
  • Configure SP2 for Callcentric, either using one of their free NY State inbound numbers, or purchase a local number if you wish.  If you don't already have it, sign up for their E911 service.
  • Add your Callcentric telephone number (the NY State number, not the 1-777 number) to your Google Voice account as a forwarding phone number, and remove the check mark to the left of the Google Chat forwarding destination.
  • Enjoy.