News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV via Voice Gateway on Obi110...?

Started by vtsnaab, May 25, 2016, 12:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

Hi Folks.
As per the title, I have a working Obi110 with the latest FW upgrade and it has GV numbers associated with both SPs right now.

Because of uses I have with Android devices via Wifi I also have accounts with Circlenet, Localphone, Callcentric (and even maybe some lingering credit at Future9).

The number registering with SP2 is my main outgoing channel so to use it as the main caller ID - while my main incoming usage for the few calls I ever get is the number on SP1.

What I would like to do, if possible:
- Keep SP2 as-is so that it is the default for outgoing calls;
- Add Circlenet in place of the incoming for SP1;
- Have some sort of forwarding from the SP1 GV number via the Circlenet DID for incoming;
- Add a voice gateway for making any calls as needed for the GV number that WAS on SP1.

I have no clue how to do this and have searched here, but mostly the impression I get is that to add a GV number this way I'd likely have to use Simon Telephonics on the voice gateway to get this - unless this can somehow be done directly ??

Thanks for any education in this !!

PS:
Some seemingly pertinent previous posts...
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3368.0
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5341.0
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10158.0
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1280.0

I also did some WWW searching but did not find anything useful that way.

drgeoff

I very much doubt that a Voice Gateway will work directly to a GV account. Several reasons: GV is not SIP, need to use portal to configure GV authorisation and portal doesn't offer VGs for GV setup.

The Simonics route has a fair chance of success for making GV calls. (Receiving certainly will not work.) The critical point is whether Simonics requires the SIP client to register. VGs cannot.

Why don't you try it and report your findings?

vtsnaab

I tried setting up a VG before without success - I am not a total newbie but things with long strings of code tend to find me making errors quite often.

My hope was to hear from someone who has done something similar with thei Obi box.

Apparently it does get done using Simonics Gateway, but again - I've no experience to rely upon.

Thanks.

Taoman

drgeoff pretty much summed it up.

Can't use GV in a voice gateway. No way for you to authenticate using OAuth2.

Simonics GV gateway would work as a voice gateway for outgoing GV calls, however. Simonics gateway does not require registration. I have this current setup on one of my OBi's as my default outgoing route. Works quite well.

vtsnaab

Thank you Taoman:
Quote from: Taoman on May 25, 2016, 12:51:03 PM
Can't use GV in a voice gateway. No way for you to authenticate using OAuth2.
Simonics GV gateway would work as a voice gateway for outgoing GV calls, however. Simonics gateway does not require registration. I have this current setup on one of my OBi's as my default outgoing route. Works quite well.

Perhaps my verbiage was not clear where I posted this part about outgoing calls:
- Add a voice gateway for making any calls as needed for the GV number that WAS on SP1.

By which I meant what you just confirmed -does- work, yes ??

Of course I remain ignorant of just -how- to go about the actual set up...

Thanks.

Taoman

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 25, 2016, 12:56:22 PM

Perhaps my verbiage was not clear where I posted this part about outgoing calls:

By which I meant what you just confirmed -does- work, yes ??

Pretty sure I know what you mean. I've attached what my Simonics VG looks like. Of course, you would use either SP1 or SP2 assuming both were SIP trunks.

Obviously, you would need to sign up for Simonics and get your SIP credentials. You would also need to log out of GV with your existing SP1 trunk and log into GV from the Simonics GV gateway once you sign up.

You may also have to make some edits in your OutboundCallRoute depending on what it currently looks like. It's been so long I can't remember specifics.

vtsnaab

Thanks Taoman.
This brings me a step closer...

In examining the screenie you've shared I see where the 'access number' field starts with SP3;
This baffles me a bit as my Obi110 only has SP1 & 2 - and following that is the digitmap field which I must confess that I do not comprehend a'tall ?!?

Might you be willing to explain these things to me a little, if possible ??

Thanks.

Taoman

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 25, 2016, 03:37:23 PM

In examining the screenie you've shared I see where the 'access number' field starts with SP3;
This baffles me a bit as my Obi110 only has SP1 & 2 - and following that is the digitmap field which I must confess that I do not comprehend a'tall ?!?

It baffles you? What exactly do you think I meant when I said:

Quote from: TaomanOf course, you would use either SP1 or SP2 assuming both were SIP trunks.

Here is the digitmap I'm using. Replace AAA with your area code. It's a very simple and straightforward digitmap and may not support any special dialing requirements you might have. You can always use the default Voice Gateway digitmap. You don't have to use the one I'm using.
Quote(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1AAA>xxxxxxx|011xx.)

Before going any further please explain what you are trying to accomplish.

What provider are you using on SP2? And that is the provider and CID you wish to use for outbound calls?

I assume you were using GV for incoming calls on SP1? And you're planning on replacing it with a DID from CircleNet? I assume this will be a different incoming number? May I ask why you are doing this? Most people I know (myself included) use CircleNet for cheap outgoing calls, not incoming calls. Nothing wrong with using a CircleNet DID but the web portal is spartan at best and you don't have much in the way of call control/routing. You'll be paying 1.50/month plus the per minute rate.

If your plan is to use the Simonics GV gateway anyway I'm curious why you wouldn't just replace your SP1 GV config with the Simonics GV gateway? That way you'd have incoming/outgoing GV calls and retain your GV number as your primary incoming number.

If you still wanted to use CircleNet for outgoing calls you could configure that as a Voice Gateway which is what I do.

vtsnaab

Thanks Taoman.
Please pardon me if I have not explained well enough - I'll try again...

Before:
SP1 - my primary GV # used for few incoming calls, very seldom for outgoing calls;
SP2 - 2nd GV # - set not to ring so as to go to VM - used for all outgoing calls for its caller ID.
No voice gateway in use.

After:
SP1 - Circlenet both in & outgoing;
SP2 - unchanged.
VG - Used for outgoing via primary GV# (removed from use at SP1)

I hope that makes my desired configuration clearer ??

As to the rest=>
That the 'access number' field starts with SP3 baffled me because I have no idea how to use such a setting - I do get that my Obi110 only has SP1 & 2.

The digitmap field is something that I do not comprehend at all and would have no idea what to do with unless just to copy/paste it as-is.

Taoman said:
QuoteHere is the digitmap I'm using. Replace AAA with your area code. It's a very simple and straightforward digitmap and may not support any special dialing requirements you might have. You can always use the default Voice Gateway digitmap. You don't have to use the one I'm using.
Quote(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1AAA>xxxxxxx|011xx.)

Yes, I was/am using GV for incoming calls on SP1 - and it gets very little usage.

Yes, I'm planning on replacing it with a DID from CircleNet which will be a different number.

Why I wish to do this may sound very silly to you:
We have been using CircleNet as a backup on my partner's Obi for cheap outgoing calls, and recently Sam offered a deal for Obi users - and in the spirit of supporting a good, honest business, I signed up for it - with the new DID that it offers.

I do not need much call control of any sort because the 1st number is kept for family & close friends only.

All 'public' calls use the 2nd number & anytime I give out a number to others it is the 2nd one that does not ring.
(I can always pick that one up if need be as I get screen notifications on an Android with the GV app.)

My plan does hinge upon successfully having the Simonics GV gateway for outgoing on the former SP1 GV number and I'll likely forward the old 1st GV number to the CircleNet DID regardless of whether it adds some latency as it gets little use.

If you look at the offer he made either here on the forum, or at:
http://www.circlenet.us/Obi_special.html
It is most likely that I'll spend a whole $15/year on this and if that helps CircleNet to stick around, I'm all for it.
The small fee to set up at Simonics is also a small bit to accomplish all this.
Of course, if I find that I simply cannot do this I can also just leave or return things as-is, but I will at least make a good try before I give up on using that offer.

The moral of this story=>
Every so often I make the acquaintance of an exceptionally honest & dedicated business owner, and if/when I am able to, I like to be sure & do what I can to encourage such folks as opposed to huge things like the big G that just uses its users as mere data points.

There - I hope this is a bit clearer and does not come across as being too silly ?!?

Thanks for being patient with me.

Taoman

Nope. Now I get it. Makes sense and there is nothing silly about it. I agree about supporting Sam and CircleNet. I'm all for that which is why I use his service.

The important piece I was unaware of was that SP2 was also a GV line. This means you must use SP1 when configuring your Voice Gateway with the Simonics gateway. But you must have SP1 configured for CircleNet and up and running before configuring the Voice Gateway.
Again, you can copy & paste the digitmap I posted or you can just use the default one that is already there. Both will work.

What is going to be your PrimaryLine (default outgoing line)?

Edit: I would be curious to know if CircleNet allows you to forward an incoming call to one of their DIDs via SIP URI. If so, do they charge for it? Most providers don't. If so, you could forward incoming calls to GV #1 to your CircleNet DID via SIP URI from the Simonics GV gateway.

vtsnaab

Thanks Again Taoman.
I am glad to hear that you get what I was trying to say and agree that it is not silly.

I have exactly zero experience with this, but I will try to learn:
QuoteThe important piece I was unaware of was that SP2 was also a GV line. This means you must use SP1 when configuring your Voice Gateway with the Simonics gateway. But you must have SP1 configured for CircleNet and up and running before configuring the Voice Gateway.

Can you tell me what advantage there may be in using the digitmap that you shared vs. the default one ??

I plan for my default outgoing line to remain SP2, as it has been & hope this is not a problem ??

Again, I thank you for being patient with me Taoman.

Taoman

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 25, 2016, 08:45:19 PM

Can you tell me what advantage there may be in using the digitmap that you shared vs. the default one ??

The digitmap I'm using is more restrictive than the default (xx.) which is basically a wildcard and allows any digits dialed to be sent.
Mine adheres to the North American Numbering Plan and allows 7-digit dialing for your area code and International access direct dial.