News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 with thinkingphones.com?

Started by RandyJ, April 12, 2016, 09:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyJ

Hello, my workplace just assigned me a voip account with thinkingphones.com.  Does anyone know if this can work with my Obi110?  What info would I need from the provider?

SteveInWA

You would need the VoIP account's SIP credentials (the SIP username and password).  You'd also need the name of their SIP server.  You'll have to contact your administrator to ask if they give out that information, or not.

Clive

Having looked at the website, Thinkingphones is now called Fuze and it appears to be a (video) conferencing application that works in a browser or mobile phone app.

Not sure it would work with an Obi.

RandyJ

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 12, 2016, 07:39:54 PM
You would need the VoIP account's SIP credentials (the SIP username and password).  You'd also need the name of their SIP server.  You'll have to contact your administrator to ask if they give out that information, or not.

Hi Steve, thanks for the information.  I had kind of given up on this, but now have a more urgent need to get it working.  I got the SIP username, password and server for my account, and the administrator said it should work, but they can't provide me any support beyond that.

I have some questions about the configuration screen.  On that screen I see these fields:

Service Provider Proxy Server
Service Provider Proxy Server Port
Outbound Proxy Server
Outbound Proxy Server Port
Username
Password
URI

I entered the SIP server in the first field, set the port name to 5060 (I can't remember if that was something the configuration page set as a default or if I had found it in some other instructions), and left the Outbound Proxy Server and Port and URI fields blank.  It doesn't work, as the device configuration screen shows a status of: Retrying Register (server=0.0.0.0:5060).  I also tried Port 5010, as I found configuration instructions for Anveo specify that port.  I'm also concerned that the server in the message is identified as 0.0.0.0.  So I have some more questions:

1. Is it possible that I need to hardcode the IP address if the domain name they gave me isn't found by DNS servers?  I tried pinging it, and that fails with 'host name not found'.  The name they gave me is pbx.xxx.net (I'm using xxx here instead of the actual name).

2. Do I need to ask my administrator what port they are using?

3. Do I need to set the Outbound server and port fields, or is that something I would need to ask my administrator?

4. Should I expect that the administrator would have known to give me a URI if one were needed, or is that something I should specifically ask?

5. In the Anveo configuration instructions I found, it had this step: 'In case you would like to configure SIP TCP'.  What is the purpose of configuring/not configuring that?

drgeoff

If the domain name of the SIP registrar isn't found by DNS servers how do you expect the OBi to contact the registrar?

The proxy server field will accept either name or dotted quad.

SteveInWA

In addition to drgeoff's good point, you need to contact them again and confirm the values to enter in the form attached below.   Often, the server names are all the same.  I don't know why you referred to Anveo; they have nothing to do with this service provider, and no, you don't have to configure SIP over TCP.

RandyJ

Thought I'd update this to let folks know I got it working after getting the actual IP address of the server from Fuze support.  Sounds like they have multiple servers for different accounts so I am not going to post the IP address here.  The port is 5060.  I had only referenced the Anveo info earlier because I noticed the port number was different, so I wondered if it is common for other providers to not use the OBi's configurator default of 5060.

So bottom line, these are the 4 values I needed from Fuze support:
Service Provider Proxy Server (in dotted decimal format)
Service Provider Proxy Server Port
Username
Password

The following fields are left blank:
Outbound Proxy Server
Outbound Proxy Server Port
URI