News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to Disable Call Forwarding to POTS Phone

Started by Chipps, May 31, 2016, 07:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chipps

Before canceling the POTS landline I have been using I am testing a new installation of an OBI202. I have an analog telephone attached to Phone 1 port. The Internet port is attached to a switch. Access to the Internet is via AT&T U-Verse whose modem is also attached to the switch. I am using Google Voice.

Everything works as expected, except for one thing I cannot figure out how to prevent from happening. This is when I use a cell phone to call the Google Voice phone number both the analog telephone attached to the OBI202 and the telephone attached to the POTS line both ring.

I want to isolate the POTS line from the VOIP entirely. In other words when I call the Google Voice number assigned to the OBI202 only the telephone directly connected to it should ring. The POTS connected phone should not even know a VOIP connection exists.

SteveInWA

Your post is ambiguous.

Is your POTS line plugged into the LINE jack on an OBi 110, or is this just a regular POTS line with a different telephone plugged directly into the POTS jack in the wall?

If you mean that you have an entirely separate POTS line, then you must have set it up as a forwarding phone number in Google Voice settings.

Log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, and go to this page:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Remove the check mark to the left of the POTS number.  If you want to keep using this number to access your GV voicemail, you can leave it listed on that page with no check mark.  If you have no intention of using it at all, then delete the number.

Chipps

The device I have is an OBI202. The POTS line is not plugged into this. The POTS line, wiring for it, and the telephone it uses are entirely physically separate from the VOIP hardware. The only physical connection they have to each other is that the U-Verse service uses bonded VDSL lines to achieve the 25 Mbps speed it delivers. The POTS voice comes over these same wires at a different frequency as is typical for DSL lines. A splitter divides the traffic.

I will look at the Google Voice settings. All I did was signup for the service using the default settings. I have not examined these settings.

Chipps

"Log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, and go to this page:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Remove the check mark to the left of the POTS number.  If you want to keep using this number to access your GV voicemail, you can leave it listed on that page with no check mark.  If you have no intention of using it at all, then delete the number."

This solved the problem. Thanks.