News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Making Outgoing call using GV - sometimes they can't hear me (FIXED)

Started by emachac, July 05, 2011, 09:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonR

Quote from: earthtoobi on August 02, 2011, 01:05:47 PM
what i noticed is that when i use google voice, the port number range for the trunk is not followed.

You lost me.

If you mean ports 5060 - 5061 are not used on Google Voice, that's correct.  5060 - 5061 are used for SIP protocol.  Google Voice uses XMPP protocol.

earthtoobi

i mean when you make a call with googlevoice and check your RTP port, it is not in the port range of 16600-16798 (assuming you use google voice in SP1 ).
So, am not sure how port forwarding for google voice would be useful.

RonR

I've never had occasion to be scrutinize a Google Voice call and never noticed, but it appears the OBi only conforms to the specified RTP port range on SIP calls.  The RTP port range appears to be all over the place on Google Voice calls.  I don't know whether this is intentional or a bug.  Doesn't seem to leave an option for port forwarding in the case of Google Voice, does it?

Blacky

RonR I have a D-Link DIR-651 it has QOS and Port Forwarding and application rules

for QOS what do you recommend here are the options
This option is disabled by default. Enable this option
for better performance and experience with online
games and other interactive applications, such as VoIP.
Note: When this option is enabled, hardware NAT
will be disabled automatically.
This option is enabled by default when the QoS
Engine option is enabled. This option will allow your
router to automatically determine the uplink speed
of your Internet connection.
This displays the detected uplink speed.
The speed at which data can be transferred from the
router to your ISP. This is determined by your ISP.
This option is enabled by default. This will allow
your router to automatically determine the network
priority of running programs.
This option is enabled by default so that your router
will automatically determine which programs should
have network priority. For best performance, use the
Automatic Classification option to automatically set
the priority for your applications.
This option should be enabled when you have a slow Internet uplink. It helps to reduce the impact that large low priority network
packets can have on more urgent ones.

for Port Forwarding here are the options what do you recommend.
Enter the TCP and/or UDP port or ports that you want
to open. You can enter a single port or a range of ports.
Seperate ports with a common.
Example: 24,1009,3000-4000

For Applications rules here are the options what do you recommend
This is the port used to trigger the application. It
can be either a single port or a range of ports.
Select the protocol of the trigger port (TCP, UDP,
or Both).
This is the port number on the Internet side that
will be used to access the application. You may
define a single port or a range of ports. You can
use a comma to add multiple ports or port ranges.
Select the protocol of the firewall port (TCP, UDP,
or Both).
The schedule of time when the Application Rule
will be enabled. The schedule may be set to Always,
which will allow the particular service to always
be enabled. You can create your own times in the
Tools > Schedules section.
Select Allow All (most common) or a created Inbound
filter. You may create your own inbound filters in the
Advanced > Inbound Filter page.

Thanks in advance

RonR

Quote from: Blacky on September 04, 2011, 01:33:09 PM
RonR I have a D-Link DIR-651 it has QOS and Port Forwarding and application rules

for QOS what do you recommend here are the options

If you're not having any problems, you probably don't need to change anything.

I've never had a need to bother with QoS, so I don't have any suggestions in this area.

If you're using a VoIP provider, you can consider adding a STUN server on the appropriate ITSPx page of the OBi.  I also forward SIP Ports (5060 - 5061) and RTP Ports (16600 -16998) to the OBi, but many find this unnecessary.

Blacky

I don't see an option for forwarding sip and rtp ports where do I set it?

RonR

Quote from: Blacky on September 04, 2011, 02:35:17 PM
I don't see an option for forwarding sip and rtp ports where do I set it?

Port Forwarding is done in your router.  SIP ports (used by the OBi) are 5060 - 5061.  RTP ports (used by the OBi) are 16600 - 16998.

Blacky

I put the settings in and still having the issues with new D-Link QOS router do you think my OBi100 is bad?

how do I return my OBi100 back to OBi?

RonR

Quote from: Blacky on September 08, 2011, 09:33:52 AM
I put the settings in and still having the issues with new D-Link QOS router do you think my OBi100 is bad?

What issues are you having?

Have to tried temporarily connecting the OBi directly to your broadband modem in order to bypass your router in case it's the source of your problems?  Power-cycle both the modem and the OBi after making this connection.  If your problems go away without the router in the loop, the router is most likely the culprit.

jmsnyc

I sometimes  have the problem where the outbound caller cannot hear me.   I have to power cycle the obi and it works.  I feel it is usually occurs after making any change on the web interface.  

jimates

Last week I called my wife's cell phone and she couldn't hear me. She called back and she still couldn't hear me. I could hear her both times.

I rebooted my Obi and that fixed everything. That is the first problem I have ever had with any of my Obi's. My first one has been in use for 9 months. Prior to the problem it had been online for a very long time.

Blacky

It seems like the OBi100 I have is bad because when I test another OBi100 in the same enviroment I don't have the issues at all.

jmsnyc

Why is this thread marked [FIXED] if we are still having the problem.    Also if the call is through Google Voice why should forwarding sip ports be the solution?

QBZappy

jmsnyc,

This thread was started by emachac. His issue is apparently "FIXED". Others are continuing to post in his thread.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.