News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 cannot make outgoing and incoming calls after a few days following reboot

Started by koolit, June 01, 2016, 09:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koolit

Greetings!
First off, I am new to voip and came to know about obi device 6 weeks ago. I bought Obi200 and setup SP1 to GV following the supplied instructions. I was indeed very happy when I got it working using my cordless phone.

But it stopped working 3 days post installation (no outgoing and incoming calls) and my email was bombarded with missed calls. Obi200 LED's are lit and the phone has dial tone but pure silence when I dial a number. I then used my cellphone to call obi and I can hear the ringing tone from my cell but the obi remains on standby. Rebooting the obi will solve the problem only to come back 3-4 days later. :(

My setup is pretty much basic and params are all default. The Obi200 is directly wired to SB6141 and the phone is also directly wired to Obi. All devices are sitting next to each other and I replaced all the cables twice but no go. I recently updated to SW Ver 3.1.0.5264 but no change.

I really don't know what's going on, please help! 

SteveInWA

You said that your OBi is directly wired to your SB6141.  That's a cable modem, with no built-in router.  Did you really mean that, or do you, in fact, have a separate router, with the router's WAN port plugged into the SB6141, and your OBi plugged into one of the router's LAN ports?   Surely you are using your cable internet service for things other than your OBi?

koolit

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 01, 2016, 09:45:53 PM
You said that your OBi is directly wired to your SB6141.  That's a cable modem, with no built-in router.  Did you really mean that, or do you, in fact, have a separate router, with the router's WAN port plugged into the SB6141, and your OBi plugged into one of the router's LAN ports?   Surely you are using your cable internet service for things other than your OBi?
yaiks...sorry my bad! I meant obi wired to router (myNet750).

In all honesty, my head spins trying to learn everything about it from this forum even before I received the obi200. And I recall another member posted here the same problem with his obi200. I lost tracked of his thread and not sure if he managed to fix it, though!

koolit

Well... phone is dead again :(

Is it worth installing a timer switch to auto reboot the obi200 every 72 hours? I am open to any suggestions....paperweight?... trash? :-\

SteveInWA

Where did you buy the OBi?  Did you buy it new, from an authorized retailer like Amazon, Fry's or Newegg, or did you buy it used, from eBay, or what?

If it's new, then open a ticket with Obihai for support, or else return it.

If it's used, then who knows what might be wrong with it.

koolit

@Steve, thank you for the prompt response. Thought the problem I'm having with is very common with an easy fix but I guess not.

Yes, I bought the Obi200 NIB from Newegg when it went on sale last 4/13/16. I looked up on my Newegg acct and unfortunately, this item is not eligible for return. I am guessing the item is past the return period.

I'll make an attempt to open a ticket and will keep my hopes high for a positive resolution.

Once again, thank you so much.

SteveInWA

Quote from: koolit on June 04, 2016, 10:01:33 AM
@Steve, thank you for the prompt response. Thought the problem I'm having with is very common with an easy fix but I guess not.

Yes, I bought the Obi200 NIB from Newegg when it went on sale last 4/13/16. I looked up on my Newegg acct and unfortunately, this item is not eligible for return. I am guessing the item is past the return period.

I'll make an attempt to open a ticket and will keep my hopes high for a positive resolution.

Once again, thank you so much.

Your issue isn't common.  It's possible you have some sort of problem with your internet service, but there's nothing you could have done wrong in configuring your OBi to cause this symptom.