News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to transfer phone number from magicJack to ObiTalk

Started by Rolando, August 03, 2014, 11:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolando

Since the quality of magicJack has been deteriorating I'm trying to use my existing magicJack phone number with ObiTalk.
Unfortunately I have not been able to find out how to do this.
Is this possible and how do I go about it.
Thank you very much for any tips.

gderf

You will have to choose a VoIP service provider that will accept port in of a MagicJack number, subscribe to that service and configure your OBi to use it, and initiate the port.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Rolando

Thank you very much for your quick and competent reply.
I'll contact PhonePower to initiate this phone number transfer matter.

happiecamper

To give you heads up, I just did this recently and MagicJack charged me $32.34 to port out my number! :o  So expect to pay them to release your phone number.  >:(  I use Ringto service since it is a compatible service with Obi and free with exception of the $12 service fee for 911.  if you decide to use Ringto as your service provider with your Obi device here are the instructions to port your magicjack to Ringto.

https://bandwidth.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/332371-porting-from-magic-jack-ymax-communications

Rolando

Thank you for your porting experience and tip. I went to the Ringto web site and found this note:

"Only devices purchased after May 1, 2014 are eligible for RingTo service"

Since my devices where purchased prior to the cut-off date, it seems I'll not qualify and I did not pursue this then.

It does not surprise me that magicJack will charge these exorbitant port-out fees. Just to have a replacement unit sent they'll charge over $18.00 via USPS plus an admin charge, and then still request that the defective unit be returned to them at my cost.
???

cluckercreek

Xkpo

Quote from: cluckercreek on August 17, 2014, 12:38:08 PM
You still can use Google Voice.
I also use Google Voice to transfer phone number.