News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 110 & landline

Started by tamin, June 07, 2016, 10:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tamin

This is my 2nd Obi 110 and have been able to use Obi (GoogleVoice) as well as my POTS.  So I've had this configuration for many many months/couple years.  However a couple weeks ago, my regular landline stopped working (going off-hook) if I plug in the line-port to my POTS jack.  Any guidance as to what may be going on?

Thanks.

drgeoff

Because you have given very little diagnostic information there are many things could cause the problem.

1.  Is the POTS line working?  Can you plug a phone into it and make and receive calls?

2.  When the OBi110 is connected to the POTS line the right most LED should be lit and green.  Is it?

3.  When the OBi is connected to the POTS line can you only make outgoing calls, or only receive incoming calls or neither?

4.  When the OBi is connected to the POTS line, if you dial # do you get dial tone from the POTS line?

tamin

Quote from: drgeoff on June 07, 2016, 01:23:33 PM
Because you have given very little diagnostic information there are many things could cause the problem.

Answers in line:

1.  Is the POTS line working?  Can you plug a phone into it and make and receive calls?
The POTS line is working IF I do not plugin the obi to it, I have other outlet where I pluggin my pots line.   I then have obi in another room where I can have POTS as well as GV - this is where OBi is located.   

2.  When the OBi110 is connected to the POTS line the right most LED should be lit and green.  Is it?

When obi is also connected to POTS, the POTS LED on obi is green.  However on my other phone - POTS phone, no dial-tone (off-hook according to ATT diagnostic).

3.  When the OBi is connected to the POTS line can you only make outgoing calls, or only receive incoming calls or neither?

If OBi is connected to POTS I can make VoIP call.  I am not able to receive call from POTS line when OBi is plugged in.

4.  When the OBi is connected to the POTS line, if you dial # do you get dial tone from the POTS line?

No, just a bunch of static.

Regards,

T.

drgeoff

1.  At the OBi110, unplug the cable that goes into its LINE socket.  Leave the other end plugged in to the wall jack.  Try the POTS line in the other room.  If it works the problem is probably in your OBi110.  If it does not, the cable that you unplugged is probably faulty and you should try another one.

2.  If you have the OBi110 plugged in to the POTS line but without it powered up and without any phone plugged in to it, does the POTS phone in the other room work?

3.  Possibly the OBi110 LINE section has gone faulty.  Have you had any lightning strikes shortly before you noticed the problem?

tamin

Quote from: drgeoff on June 08, 2016, 04:47:42 AM

1.  At the OBi110, unplug the cable that goes into its LINE socket.  Leave the other end plugged in to the wall jack.  Try the POTS line in the other room.  If it works the problem is probably in your OBi110.  If it does not, the cable that you unplugged is probably faulty and you should try another one.

With cable on wall jack only, POTS line in the other room works

2.  If you have the OBi110 plugged in to the POTS line but without it powered up and without any phone plugged in to it, does the POTS phone in the other room work?

Even without power, if OBi plugged into the POTS line, the POTS phone in other room did not work (off-hook, can hear the recording saying "if you want to make a call please hang up and try again")

3.  Possibly the OBi110 LINE section has gone faulty.  Have you had any lightning strikes shortly before you noticed the problem?

This appear the LINE section of OBi has gone faulty.   We did have a few days of rain the past week, not sure if there was lightning prior to the problem.

Thanks,
T.