OBI100 configuration error

Started by bill-cary, June 14, 2016, 11:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill-cary

This may be a case for attorneys general as bad business practices.
Today My sister called and said her phone wasn't working that there was a config error and that OBI wanted $10./yr for support to fix it. She wasn't happy. When I looked at the config I couldn't find anything really wrong and it was just working in FL when she unplugged it - she is now in NY. The message said to go to OBItalk and configure it. When one goes there it says that it needs the latest firmware update and they are now charging $10. to do the update. (I think it may have indicated that you could do it yourself without charge.) So I went looking for the LATEST release of the firmware and found it was 1.3.0 build 2872 - which she had - so what is the problem? Then I read the forum and found lots of unhappy people. Someone provided a link to the "LATEST" firmware which specifically said OBI102 and it was build 2886 - So is this build only for a 110 since it wasn't listed for the 100?
I then checked my 100 and I had the same problem - my 200 worked fine. So after trying a number of "fixes" without any success, I decided to load 2886 as a last resort. Simple, works fine. One must ask.... is OBIs lack of information and indeed a little deception all about collecting $10./yr from all the 100 owners. My sister and I are having 2nd thoughts about OBI's business ethics. Maybe the Attorneys General should wake them from there stupor.

Anyway, you can't do it with ***6 1. You must download the file from here -- http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw - which is for any 100 series - log onto your OBI, go to "System Management" - "Device Update" - point to the file and click update. Wait a few minutes after the update and you should be good to go.

SteveInWA

Instead of an attorney, you need a reading tutor.

This procedure is for OBi 100 and 110 models, which use the same firmware.


  • Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Log into your OBi device.  The default username and password are both admin
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.

warsurplus

#2
@SteveInWa, your comment towards bill-cary seems a little harsh.  I know you've contributed a lot to this board so I'm not trying to flame you but my assessment of bill-cary's comment showed he had an understanding of the thread and he was simply pointing out the possibly shady business practice from Obihai in forcing the ten dollar fee to perform the firmware update and get everyone onboard the new Google authentication method.  Did you read his entire post?  I don't think he needs a reading tutor, his post showed he understood the issue.

BTW, I'm new to the board, but have been using obi100 since Oct 2011 without issue and have set up friends and family with same.  Thanks for all of your contributions to this board.

lazbat

Thanks  @SteveInWA, your instructions to update firmware manually for Obihai 100 worked like a charm!

tazmo8448

Since when after you buy a product an the firmware needs to update is it a warranty issue? The warranty is for the failure of the unit NOT the firmware to make it run. Some dude talked his way into ''hey... I know how to generate more revenue so's we can have a big bonus this quarter!'' and they went for it...greedy so n so's.

To have an issue with firmware that everyone uses, especially with GV, is almost like a slap in the face. I use all sorts of electronic and computer devices that require firmware updates from time to time an not once was it considered a 'WARRANTY' issue...nice try Obi.

Now the big question; in the future where may we find these firmware updates?

tazmo8448

After you do the update deal don't forget to delete the old one in ObiTalk and proceed as though you are adding another completely new device so it will configure itself properly, just doing the update alone won't reconcile the issue.

mintytoo

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 14, 2016, 02:45:47 PM
Instead of an attorney, you need a reading tutor.

This procedure is for OBi 100 and 110 models, which use the same firmware.


  • Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Log into your OBi device.  The default username and password are both admin
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.

Thanks for the instructions and for being such a douche.  Obi is being deceptive and not allowing you to update it automatically.  So you have to do it manually which is not clear on their site.  Same damn thing happened to me until I stumbled onto this post, and other posts complaining about how Obi is trying to charge you a $10 fee for a service that is explicitly touted as a feature. So again, thanks for the dose of doucheyness

swan2swan

After updating my unit I had to reconfigure my Google Voice - OBI100 but it does not work. Sorry if this was already asked somewhere here. Please try to direct me to the solution. Thank you so much.

SteveInWA

Quote from: swan2swan on June 23, 2016, 02:11:54 PM
After updating my unit I had to reconfigure my Google Voice - OBI100 but it does not work. Sorry if this was already asked somewhere here. Please try to direct me to the solution. Thank you so much.

Here you go:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0

Ellenc

My mother is far away and her out-of-warranty OBi100 suddenly stopped working with error code "Backing Off".  She has Build 2872, and cannot update the firmware with ***6. 

I thought I read that as of yesterday, the ***6 firmware update method was supposed to have resumed working.  What happened?

If I follow the manual firmware update, will I be able to do it remotely, or must I be in its physical presence and on her wifi?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Ellenc on June 23, 2016, 03:24:22 PM
My mother is far away and her out-of-warranty OBi100 suddenly stopped working with error code "Backing Off".  She has Build 2872, and cannot update the firmware with ***6. 

I thought I read that as of yesterday, the ***6 firmware update method was supposed to have resumed working.  What happened?

If I follow the manual firmware update, will I be able to do it remotely, or must I be in its physical presence and on her wifi?

Hi Ellen:  you can use drgeoff's instructions here, to remotely apply the update:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11372.msg74826#msg74826

Ellenc

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 23, 2016, 03:29:10 PM
Quote from: Ellenc on June 23, 2016, 03:24:22 PM
My mother is far away and her out-of-warranty OBi100 suddenly stopped working with error code "Backing Off".  She has Build 2872, and cannot update the firmware with ***6. 

I thought I read that as of yesterday, the ***6 firmware update method was supposed to have resumed working.  What happened?

If I follow the manual firmware update, will I be able to do it remotely, or must I be in its physical presence and on her wifi?

Hi Ellen:  you can use drgeoff's instructions here, to remotely apply the update:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11372.msg74826#msg74826

Steve:  Fantastic!  Thanks for the prompt response, and for all your support here.

Ellenc

Quote from: Ellenc on June 23, 2016, 03:38:35 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on June 23, 2016, 03:29:10 PM
Quote from: Ellenc on June 23, 2016, 03:24:22 PM
My mother is far away and her out-of-warranty OBi100 suddenly stopped working with error code "Backing Off".  She has Build 2872, and cannot update the firmware with ***6. 

If I follow the manual firmware update, will I be able to do it remotely, or must I be in its physical presence and on her wifi?

Hi Ellen:  you can use drgeoff's instructions here, to remotely apply the update:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11372.msg74826#msg74826

I have all her login credentials; how do i enable remote provisioning?

SteveInWA

You need to be able to log onto the OBiTALK web portal, with her OBi added to its "dashboard".  If you can access the device that way, then you can get to the page I described, and all you need to do is to follow drgeoff's instructions.  His screenshot shows the "system start" parameter being selected, which enables the device to automatically download the firmware the next time it is rebooted (powered off and on again, or press ***9, then 1, on the attached phone).

If you can't get to her device on the OBiTALK dashboard, then it would be easier to simply follow my instructions and walk her through it over some other phone line, or web chat (Skype or Google Hangouts or plain old telephone call).

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0

Ellenc

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 23, 2016, 04:30:36 PM
You need to be able to log onto the OBiTALK web portal, with her OBi added to its "dashboard".  If you can access the device that way, then you can get to the page I described, and all you need to do is to follow drgeoff's instructions.  His screenshot shows the "system start" parameter being selected, which enables the device to automatically download the firmware the next time it is rebooted (powered off and on again, or press ***9, then 1, on the attached phone).

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0

I can log onto any account she has, and device is in her Dashboard, but under Auto Firmware Update/Method, the Value is grayed out = "Disabled", and I cannot change it.  Drgeoff said his method works if remote provisioning is enabled; apparently hers is disabled.  If it matters, the Device Default box in that row is unchecked, and I can't change it.  How do I Enable remote provisioning?  Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

Click to remove the check marks to the right of that entry, which will enable you to edit it.

Ellenc

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 23, 2016, 04:57:25 PM
Click to remove the check marks to the right of that entry, which will enable you to edit it.

Thanks to you for all your help and to drgeoff for his remote update method. 

I've updated not only my mother's firmware, but also that of 3 other friends, all remotely.  Three of the 4 don't even know I've done it yet.

SteveInWA

You're a hero!  You've earned the OBi tech support merit badge.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 23, 2016, 04:30:36 PMHis screenshot shows the "system start" parameter being selected, which enables the device to automatically download the firmware the next time it is rebooted (powered off and on again, or press ***9, then 1, on the attached phone).
Clicking "Submit" after making the changes on that page automatically causes the OBi to reboot.  No need to do anything more.  That was the main reason to select "System start".