News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use GV to call out

Started by FusionStudio, July 27, 2016, 11:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FusionStudio

Is there a way to use the Call link within the GV page to make outgoing calls and have it connect to the obitalk phone? Can't figure it out!

SteveInWA

You can't do that directly.

However:  you can add an actual VoIP telephone number to your OBi, add it to Google Voice as a forwarding phone number, and then forward inbound calls to the VoIP number instead of to Google Chat.

This will add the telephone number to your drop-down list of choices when setting up a bridged call using Google Voice with the red CALL button.

FusionStudio

Thanks so much for the reply. So - the only number I have is the GoogleVoice number - so - I guess I can't do use the call links within google voice to connect to the landline phone that is connected to the obitalk device. is that right?

SteveInWA

Yes, you can use the phone connected to the OBi.  But, you need a forwarding phone number.  Get a free inbound telephone number from Callcentric.  Add that number as SP2 on your OBi.  Add it as a forwarding phone number on Google Voice.  Remove the check mark next to Google Chat.  Now, inbound calls will route through Callcentric and ring on your OBi-attached phone.  The Callcentric number will appear as a calling target number when you instruct Google Voice to call your phone.

FusionStudio

thanks a ton steve. damn this is confusing! the only free number i see with callcentric for receiving calls says coverage is only in parts of ny state... is that the one I want?! 

http://www.callcentric.com/products/

SteveInWA

Yes, get a free NY State DID.  It doesn't matter where that number is located (as long as it is in the continental USA).

Sign up for the number.  Set up a SIP username and password for that number.  Consider also paying the small monthly fee to get emergency 911 calling from Callcentric.

Log onto the OBiTALK web portal, click on your OBi device, and click on an unused Service Provider (SPx).  Then, on the next page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers" link.  On the next page, select Callcentric, and then enter your Callcentric DID's SIP username (it will be 1777xxxxxxx) and SIP password.  Complete the procedure and confirm that you can call the number and it rings on your attached telephone.

After this works, sign onto your Google Voice account, add and verify the CC DID number, put a check mark to the left of it, and remove the check mark next to Google Chat.

Now, outbound calls will go out over Google Chat, and inbound calls will route through your CC number.  You will also enjoy getting Caller ID Name (CNAM) on your inbound calls.  Make sure you configure your OBi to use the Google SPx as the default for outbound calls, and configure the CC SPx to ring on inbound calls, and to use the CC number for 911 calling.