News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

HOWTO firmware update a remote OBi.

Started by drgeoff, June 17, 2016, 01:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

The GV fiasco has prompted many posts which cover the process of downloading the OBi1x0 2886 firmware to a local computer, logging in to the ATA's local WEB GUI and uploading the new firmware.

But if the OBi in question is at a remote location, that process is not available.  Are you SOL?

No.  If remote provisioning has not been disabled, the updated firmware can be loaded using the Obitalk Portal Expert Mode.

Fill in the fields as shown in the screenshot.  At the time of writing this, the full URL of the lastest OBi1x0 firmware is http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

Scroll down and click 'Submit', wait a few minutes and when you next look at the Device Status you should see the updated firmware version.

Then, if you wish, put the method back to 'Disabled', clear the URL box and submit again.

I've done this on an OBi100 on the other side of the world from me.  No reason the same method wouldn't work on an OBi2xx if it became necessary.

dircom

drgeoff
I gave an OBi to friends in Belize, and SP1 (GV) had disappeared.  Not sure how that happened, as they are computer challenged, and didn't know how to log in to the OBi 100 locally.

I was able to update the firmware remotely per your info, and then add back GV

Thanks!!!!!!!!

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on June 17, 2016, 01:59:00 PM
The GV fiasco has prompted many posts which cover the process of downloading the OBi1x0 2886 firmware to a local computer, logging in to the ATA's local WEB GUI and uploading the new firmware.

But if the OBi in question is at a remote location, that process is not available.  Are you SOL?

No.  If remote provisioning has not been disabled, the updated firmware can be loaded using the Obitalk Portal Expert Mode.

Fill in the fields as shown in the screenshot.  At the time of writing this, the full URL of the lastest OBi1x0 firmware is http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

Scroll down and click 'Submit', wait a few minutes and when you next look at the Device Status you should see the updated firmware version.

Then, if you wish, put the method back to 'Disabled', clear the URL box and submit again.

I've done this on an OBi100 on the other side of the world from me.  No reason the same method wouldn't work on an OBi2xx if it became necessary.

Brilliant, old chap; thanks!  Yet another reason to not disable the OBiTALK-related features.

ReginaHart

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide this documentation.  You saved me a great deal of trouble.

odyindfamily

Thank you very much. This really saved me a great deal of time and frustration.

Shame on OBIHai company that they have manipulated the usage of older devices to milk some money from these device users.

Thanks to this procedure that we can remotely update the software of the device and make it work.

TrapDoor

A big help - thank you! I thought I was SOL wanting a firmware upgrade (to build #2886) on my old OBi110 remotely located in Mexico - tried this and it worked.

To my surprise, I was then able to configure the OBi to an unused GV account even though I was not logged into either of my GV accounts in the OBiTALK portal. After selecting 'Google Voice' in the portal, a list of my Google accounts popped up and I chose the desired one (an account previously activated locally). A short time later the device status showed as 'Connected' in the portal. I verified it by dialing into the device's auto-attendant via OBiTALK and placing a call to my second home number - everything worked.