News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting local Number

Started by cici235, June 14, 2016, 05:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cici235

I have the obi202 using service from Anveo with one additional sub account. I am hoping to be able to be able to Port my business number (Restaurant) once I am comfortable with how everything works. My set up is quite simple.  If one or two two guests call in they can be handled by either one of the  extensions. Call waiting is turned off. If a 3rd person calls in they get a busy signal.

Question 1 (Please forgive my ignorance)

When I port my number will Callers in my area be able to dial my restaurant without first dialing the 3 digit area code?

I am paying for a phone number with the same area code but not the same city.  Anveo did not offer a local number, therefore it is difficult to test this before switching. I am assuming the answers is yes.I just want to be sure.

Thanks

drgeoff

Quote from: cici235 on June 14, 2016, 05:41:03 PM
When I port my number will Callers in my area be able to dial my restaurant without first dialing the 3 digit area code?
Your question is in the same vein as that old joke where the patient asks the doctor if he'll be able to play the violin after the operation. (http://www.jokes.net/shortdoctorsjokes2.htm)

It doesn't matter where you port a number to.  The caller does not know the number has been ported.  He/she dials the number in exactly the same way as before.

Rick

I think the OP has two questions, one of which needs some clarification.

Whatever number you use for your restaurant, it doesn't matter who hosts it as to how your customers call it. 

Whether they have to dial the area code first or not DEPENDS on the area THEY LIVE IN and where the number YOU USE FOR YOUR RESTAURANT is, coupled with the rules for their phone service.

If I live in town B, which borders town A, I dial 7 digits, no area code, to call town A.

If I move to town C, which is 15 minutes away, the phone company in that area requires that I dial the area code to call town A.

Of course people with cell phones dial the complete number regardless.

cici235

I kind of knew it was a stupid question. The problems right now I'm very gun shy. I thought I had thought of everything after leaving at@t. In the last 45 days my bill went from $113 to $193!!!!! No internet with two lines and rollover. Theft pure and simple.

Thanks for you patience. I really want to get this right.