News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configuring Call Forwarding

Started by wpollock, June 18, 2016, 02:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpollock

I am using google voice and am experiencing all calls to my home number being forwarded to my designated forwarding number on the 2nd ring. There is no option to select "number of rings or time" within google voice to control when calls are forwarded. Does the Obi110 allow me to control the call forwarding settings and if so how do I do so?

Thanks

SteveInWA

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3927;sa=showPosts

It seems as if you've been asking variations on this same question for several years.  Let's try to clarify how Google Voice works:

You have an inbound Google Voice telephone number.  Google Voice is an inbound telephone call forwarding service, not a "free telephone company".  When someone calls your inbound GV telephone number, GV forwards inbound telephone calls simultaneously to all of the forwarding destinations you have added and enabled with check-marks, on this page:  https://www.google.com/voice#inbox

The forwarding destinations can be regular 10-digit PSTN telephone numbers in the 48 contiguous US states, and/or Google Chat.

OBi devices emulate (act as) Google Chat clients.  So, when you have a check-mark next to Chat, and you have properly set up Google Voice service on an OBi device, it will ring on inbound calls, at roughly the same time as all the 10-digit phone numbers (cell phone or land line) that you may have added.  There is no setting to control sequential ringing (a "hunt group"), nor is there a setting to control the number of rings (the ring period).

Alternatively, you can remove the check mark to the left of Google Chat, and forward calls to a VoIP service provider number (e.g. Callcentric, voip.ms, etc.).  You would then set up that VoIP number on your OBi as one of the OBi's service providers (SP1 or SP2), and use THAT number for inbound calls.

If you aren't happy with the features or operation of Google Voice, you can use some other VoIP service provider on your OBi.