News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing call routing questions

Started by Marty.ba.calif.usa, July 10, 2016, 10:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty.ba.calif.usa

I have an Obi200 which I've been using for a few years with no problems, and I've done a lot of reading of technical documentation, but there are still a few things that don't make sense.  My main number is ported to a standard free Anveo plan with unlimited incoming minutes, E911, and no outgoing plan.  This is SP2.  I've also had a Voip.ms account for outgoing calls, on SP1.  I added Google Voice to SP3, and have been using it for outgoing calls and international LD, on SP3.

So, I set it up using Obitalk, and checked GV for outgoing calls, Anveo for 911, and all's well. However...  I still have funds with Voip.ms, and I thought I'd like to use it for outgoing US calls (especially toll free) so I can have my own callerID instead of GV.

I looked over the configurations for both Obitalk advanced, and the Obi200 configure pages, and it seems like the outbound call route for the Phone 1 physical interface is where the call routing is set.  This string starts with "{911:sp2},{933:sp2}, ...", which makes sense.  So, as an initial test, I entered my cell phone number at the beginning, directed to sp1, like so (zeros replace actual number:  "{0000000000:sp1}, (911:sp2}, ...".  I tried this both for Obitalk and the Obi200 setting, but neither one caused the call to go to sp1. UPDATE: adding a 1 before the number caused it to work correctly.

I see a lot of discussion on digimaps, etc, but I don't see where to put them. I understand the format pretty well (I've had lots of experience with programming, regular expressions, linux, etc), although I'm still hazy on the nomenclature of the device.  

My question is where would I add modifications to redirect all but international long distance to sp1 (but keep 911 on sp2, of course)?  Should my modification have worked?  I have confirmed the 911 service, by the way.

EDIT:
I added a "1" to the beginning of my cell phone number, and tested that change, which worked - even though I don't dial 1 first.  So my real question is whether this is a good place to make minor changes to an existing (working) configuration.

Marty.ba.calif.usa

Quote from: drgeoff on July 10, 2016, 11:18:23 AM
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi-DigitMapCallRoute-Tutorial-v1-1.pdf is recommended reading.
Yeah, I've read that more than once, as recently as 2 days ago.  It's painful, but explains DigitMaps pretty well if you can plod your way through it.  However, unless it's well hidden, there are missing pieces, like where do you make these changes?

For example, I see DigitMaps under the 3 ITSP profiles, but they are all the same; so that must not be where it differentiates 911 from normal calls.

There's a DigitMap for phone port, but it doesn't seem to handle 911 specially.

So I found the OutboundCallRoute; but I seem to recall reading in the forums that this wasn't the right place to make changes like this.  Also, I use Obitalk for configuration, and changing this doesn't seem to make any difference, so there must be some interaction that I don't know about, like how do you make Obitalk changes like this actually work?  I can make it work changing it directly in the Obi200 page, but not the Obitalk equivalent.

Update: ObiTalk provisioning is set to default, which shows disabled as the grayed-out choice.  I'm guessing that perhaps it should be unchecked and enabled.  I haven't done anything here for a year or more, so I'm not certain that I didn't do this myself due to some sort of change.  Will enabling this setting erase all changes to the Obi200 settings?

So, my question isn't really about how to create the DigitMap, but where to do it.

drgeoff

Yes the Phone port OutboundCallRoute is where you can control which SP is used for calls dialled on the phone connected to an OBi200.  If you had a 202 there is a separate OutboundCallRoute for its second phone port. And your 200 has an OutboundCallRoute for calls that go out from the AutoAttendant.

The digit maps under the ITSPs only come into play if they are referenced by other digit maps.  For example the default 200 phone port digit map is

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},
{(<##:>):li},
{(<**70:>(Mli)):li},
{(<**82:>(Mbt2)):bt2},
{(<**81:>(Mbt)):bt},
{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},
{**0:aa},{***:aa2},
{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},
{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},
{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},
{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},
{(Mpli):pli}

The {(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1} part means that the SP1 digit map will be used on calls starting with **1.

Marty.ba.calif.usa

Thanks, that's very useful information, including the reformatting of the DigitMap. I should create a document for my Obi with DigitMaps reformatted that way, and then I can annotate each section so I won't keep forgetting what they mean.  I can usually understand most of it, and figure out the rest by reading.

One final question is about using Obitalk vs the Obi200 web configuration.  I've used both in the past, and I thought I had decided to just use Obitalk but apparently that's not the case - unless an update changed the setting back to disabled.  Mainly, I use Obitalk because it seems easier to check and fix any problems with connections.  So, I'm wondering if you know what happens if I reenable Obitalk provisioning.  Will it cause Obitalk to overwrite all settings?  It's probably safe, but I'm not positive I haven't changed something along the way.  I'm also not sure which one I really want to use, but that's probably for me to figure out.  Generally, I like to keep things as direct as possible to eliminate intermediate sources of failure.

Marty.ba.calif.usa

Quote from: drgeoff on July 10, 2016, 11:18:23 AM
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi-DigitMapCallRoute-Tutorial-v1-1.pdf is recommended reading.
I'm having a problem with implementation of what should be a very simple rule.  I was having trouble, so I did a test; I added one rule to the beginning of the Phone 1 OutboundCallRoute.  It was just for calling my cell phone for testing.

First, I added the whole number like so (zeros represent my number, 925 is the area code):  {1 925 000 0000:sp1}, ... to direct my cell phone number to sp1 instead of sp3.  That worked.

Next, I changed it to {1 925 xxx xxxx:sp1}, ... thinking this would direct all area code 925 calls to sp1, but it didn't; the call to my cell phone then went via sp3. 

I very carefully did this a few times, editing just the 7 characters, double checking that the settings were saved, and the Obi rebooted before each test.  It was always the same results.

So, am I not understanding or missing something?

Taoman

Go to the OBitalk web portal and click on the gear icon for your device.
Then click on the gear icon for SP1. (click on Accept button when prompted)
Enter your area code in the field for "7-Digit Dialing for USA & CAN"

Save your edits and your device should reboot.

Once device has restarted, go to Expert/Advanced Configuration:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A General-> DigitMap

Does it look any different?

Marty.ba.calif.usa

Quote from: Taoman on July 11, 2016, 03:36:18 PM
Go to the OBitalk web portal and click on the gear icon for your device.
Then click on the gear icon for SP1. (click on Accept button when prompted)
Enter your area code in the field for "7-Digit Dialing for USA & CAN"

Save your edits and your device should reboot.

Once device has restarted, go to Expert/Advanced Configuration:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A General-> DigitMap

Does it look any different?
Thanks, but it was already entered for all 3 of my services.  I'm not really sure what this is supposed to check for, so I'm not sure what you might want to know.

FWIW, here are the DigitMaps for all the profiles:

ITSP Profile A/B/C
(*xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1925>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

I'm guessing this adds "1925" to any 7 digit number not starting with 0 or 1.  Also, I'm guessing it automatically prepends a 1 to domestic numbers, which is what threw me the first time I tried this without that 1.

I still don't understand why an explicit number works, but a number wildcard does not.

Taoman

Quote from: Marty.ba.calif.usa on July 11, 2016, 03:56:48 PM

I still don't understand why an explicit number works, but a number wildcard does not.

Because you didn't use a wildcard. You used literal elements. You would need to use parentheses to use wildcards.
I'm no guru with this stuff but I would guess something like:

{(1925xx.):SP1}

Edit: I tried it and it worked as expected for me.

Marty.ba.calif.usa

Thanks a lot.  I'll look into it further tomorrow.  I was just looking at the examples from the Obihai admin guide, which I guess was not complete.   I'll have to look at it in more detail to learn some more.

EDIT: 

Indeed, that did fix it.  Simply changing {1 925 xxx xxxx:sp1} to {(1 925 xxx xxxx):sp1} causes it to work correctly for my cell phone.  Somehow, in reading all the docs on how DigitMaps work, I missed that one little requirement.