News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Did the old GV auth method finally stop working?

Started by dhobi, July 10, 2016, 09:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhobi

OBI100 1.3.0 (Build: 2824) -- yes, I know it's old but did not want to upgrade it on purpose as I like to manage it manually, not via the OBI portal.

My GV account worked fine until a few days ago, just discovered today it's not connecting anymore, it keeps saying:

"Backing Off (1s):TCP connection to 173.194.202.125 failed"

I was hoping I could keep using username/password to authenticate, I don't mind it, as this is a dedicated Google account just for GV, don't use it for anything else.

Would setting up 2-factor auth and a dedicated app password in Google fix it?

drgeoff

Why don't you try it and post the answer here?

dhobi

Because I don't want to make any changes to my Google account, if the problem is somewhere else and not an auth problem.

dhobi

Is this related to Google killing SSLv3, RC4 support and older OBI firmware not supporting TLS 1.2, hence the only way to make it work again is to upgrade to the latest firmware?

What firmware version is known to currently work well on OBI100, with GV?

drgeoff

Quote from: dhobi on July 10, 2016, 12:46:51 PM
What firmware version is known to currently work well on OBI100, with GV?

Taoman

This has also been affecting Asterisk users using older builds. The general consensus from those that have been taking traces with Wireshark is that Google is phasing out support for SSLv3 and only allowing TLS as they said they would.

http://www.securityweek.com/google-soon-kill-sslv3-rc4-support-gmail

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30835297-

SSLv3 has been deprecated by Google for some time and they are now removing support for it. Setting up 2-factor authentication would do nothing for you.

Either update your firmware or use something like the Simonic's GV gateway if you want to remain at your current firmware version level.

dhobi

Thanks for the helpful answer.

The new firmware requires using the OBI portal for configuring GV, correct?

drgeoff

Quote from: dhobi on July 10, 2016, 12:54:43 PM
The new firmware requires using the OBI portal for configuring GV, correct?
Yes.