News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Port Verizon Cellular Homephone Connect number to Google Voice

Started by rsdbrevard, July 05, 2016, 09:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsdbrevard

On my OBI dashboard it says that Google Voice is connected. On the OBI200 device all 3 lights are green. Google Voice web page said that my given number can be ported. I just want to use the same wireless handsets for my home phones as I am now and want to make and receive normal calls. I am not a T-Mobile customer and can't use their SIM cards. I thought I could just port the number over to Google Phone an have it simply replace Verizon. If I just port my number will that do it or is there a whole bunch of steps needed to just simply replace my Verizon phone? Thanks.

dircom

Normally you can only port a cell phone #to GV
That is why it is a normally a two step process to port a landline number to GV. 
(If it can be done, not all numbers are eligible to be ported)

Verizon Cellular Homephone and other companies, similar type services
do operate using a cell signal.

I don't know if Google considers it a "true" cell phone signal eligible for porting, but I would assume, If Google is saying you can port it directly, then you should be able to port directly.

rsdbrevard

Yes, I came to that conclusion and took a shot. I think it'll work. I can make and receive calls on my Googlevoice number and I think that porting it will just change my Googlevoice number to the ported number which google accepted. There is ZERO information out there about this. I'll hopefully know within a few hours today. Thanks!

SteveInWA

Quote from: rsdbrevard on July 06, 2016, 06:31:30 AM
There is ZERO information out there about this.

There is an entire section in the Google Voice Help Forum dedicated to porting questions and answers, and, here are the official instructions:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124

Given that Google Voice's number porting tool accepted your request, you just need to wait now, while the process moves forward.  If you have a problem with the port, post your issue in the Google Voice Help Forum.

dircom

When the poster says zero information, I am guessing that he is referring to porting from a quasi cell number, such as Verizon Cellular Home Phone, or Straight Talk Home phone.

SteveInWA

Well, there would be zero information on that scenario, since Google doesn't know whether the user is trying to port in from a mobile carrier's number provisioned on a mobile phone, or a mobile carrier's number provisioned on a fixed terminal (a AC-powered device into which a RJ-11 jack telephone is attached).  That's no different than porting in a number assigned to an iPhone vs. a Android phone vs. a dumb flip phone.  The mobile carrier's phone number is being ported, not the particular device on which it is being used.

All Google knows, or cares about, is the carrier that holds the number.  As long as it's a mobile carrier's phone number, with working service, located in an area that Google's carrier can support, then the number is portable.

So:  fair question, with a simple answer:  yes, as long as the number itself is portable, it doesn't matter how it is being used.