News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi202 stuck in firmware upgrade loop

Started by wayne.obi, January 16, 2018, 07:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne.obi

I logged on to my ObiTalk account, clicked the firmware update triangle, and selected cancel to manually update.  It sent me to the firmware update forum topic.  After that, it appears to have attempted a firmware update on it own anyway.

Now it is stuck in a loop:

1) If I block the obi202 from the Internet (with firewall) and power cycle it boots, gets an IP address via DHCP, and sits in the blinking red light mode.  Then I browse directly to the unit and it shows me the manual update page.  I tried manually updating to OBi202-3-1-1-5754.fw, OBi202-3-2-1-5757EX.fw, and the latest at http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw.  It seems to accept the FW file, waits a couple minutes, then says it has rebooted.  But it goes back into the same blinking red light mode again.

2) If I do not block the obi202 with my firewall, it boots up, gets an IP address via DHCP, and goes into blinking red light mode.  The manual FW update web UI is accessible.  But the unit appears to be attempting to download, update, and reboot on its own.  But it just keeps looping, and never seems to succeed.

Any ideas how to get the firmware to actually load and get out of manual firmware update mode?

Thanks,

Wayne

SteveInWA

This is a pretty good indication that the flash memory module in the OBi has failed, or at the least, is getting permanent write errors.

Time for a new one.  If it's less than a year old, you can open a warranty repair ticket with Obihai.

ProfTech

Interestingly enough, I updated my daughters 200 to 5757EX using the portal about 2 weeks ago and everything seemed fine. This afternoon I noticed the device now says it is running 5775EX in it! So it looks like Obihai remotely loaded it again sometime in the last week or so. I wonder if they tried to load yours and it died instead. I didn't think they were going to "force feed" units again after the fiasco a couple of years ago.

*edited* Your post is the second post of 2 on here with a similar failure. I re-downloaded the "latest" firmware using the link from the portal and it sent me 5757EX with the same file size I had. So I modified the link to read "http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5775EX.fw just to see what would happen and got 5775EX with a slightly smaller file size. I won't attempt to load it because it could be a corrupt file and my Obi seems to be working but all of this is very suspicious. I would try to get your Obi replaced by Obihai but good luck.

GPz1100

Direct link:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5775EX.fw

File: OBI_FIRMWARE_OBi202-3-2-1-5775EX.fw
 CRC-32: 53086008
    MD5: 6a3d6a5eca9484b8ace379bee1868e37
  SHA-1: 3473713524018ef35061681c7d11e1e9fda97131
SHA-256: d3ae57fbb0a7902c9a7907aee4b102d78c84af4079c398883924b0ec7d8b58fb
SHA-512: 891a575a5950adbf007cbe4432cbe93e2bfe48b28c7d6bc21bfa3e7a2cacc49572067cafa0be16d7d23046d0ed415ea5d06b4c933c6ae96829bae88af21a66d2

Wonder what has changed in it. Our 200 & 202 have everything under Settings/system management/auto provisioning disabled. No issues here to report of so unless there's a change log or we start having issues I'm not updating.  You know the motto, if it's not broke don't fix it.

ProfTech

To Wayne.obi I have never used the procedure, but the Obi help describes a method to recover a bricked unit. Use the link sent by gpz1100 to get the 5775EX firmware. Then try setting your PC for a static IP and connecting to the Obi using a crossover cable then use the manual update and see if it will "Take". Good luck

SteveInWA

Quote from: ProfTech on January 18, 2018, 12:25:10 PM
To Wayne.obi I have never used the procedure, but the Obi help describes a method to recover a bricked unit. Use the link sent by gpz1100 to get the 5775EX firmware. Then try setting your PC for a static IP and connecting to the Obi using a crossover cable then use the manual update and see if it will "Take". Good luck

The OP reported a flashing red LED.  This means the unit is dead.  The only state wherein you can update the firmware via the direct connection method is an alternating red/green LED.

grtessman

See this link: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13344.0   maybe make sure Auto-Update is turned off since OBI can't seem to keep their auto update links up to date.  It may update but revert back to the old crap with old certs, due to auto update.

SteveInWA

Quote from: grtessman on April 05, 2018, 06:45:50 PM
See this link: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13344.0   maybe make sure Auto-Update is turned off since OBI can't seem to keep their auto update links up to date.  It may update but revert back to the old crap with old certs, due to auto update.

No, it's a brick.  Bricks can't receive firmware updates.  Period.  "He's dead, Jim".

roadshow69

I experienced the same issue.  I thought my Obi200 might be bricked.  Every time I upgraded the firmware, it would reboot and after a minute would flash red/green.  I tried rebooting modem, router and Obi multiple times. It didn't help.
Through the whole process, I was always able to type the Obi IP address in my browser and get to the internal page that allows you to update it's firmware.  From past experience, any devices that I have ever owned that became bricked, would not connect to to my network, the fact that the Obi's firmware update page was accessible gave me some hope that it might be fixable.

My netgear router set to reserve a specific IP address for the Obi based on it's MAC address.  Thinking my Obi was likely dead, I removed the reservation from my router, and rebooted the router. I plugged the Obi back in to see if it would still show up on my network.  It did show up with a different IP address as I expected. I tried one more time to upgrade the firmware, and after it rebooted, the Obi started working again. All lights green, and able to make and receive calls.

I am not sure why it started working after removing it's DHCP reservation.  The Obi was obviously communicating with my network with it's DHCP reserved address, or I would never have been able to see the firmware page.
I'm confused, but happy to have my Obi back in action.  

SteveInWA

Quote from: roadshow69 on April 20, 2018, 06:59:54 AM
I am not sure why it started working after removing it's DHCP reservation.  The Obi was obviously communicating with my network with it's DHCP reserved address, or I would never have been able to see the firmware page.
I'm confused, but happy to have my Obi back in action.  

Probably because the router and the OBi were trying to obtain an IP address while the router already had assigned a different IP address due to your settings.  Your experience is different than the original poster's.

drgeoff

Quote from: roadshow69 on April 20, 2018, 06:59:54 AM
I experienced the same issue.  I thought my Obi200 might be bricked.  Every time I upgraded the firmware, it would reboot and after a minute would flash red/green.
You are one of a very small band of people who think that flashing red and alternating between red and green are the same.