News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

In-phone answering machine

Started by graces_s, July 07, 2016, 09:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graces_s

I've been using an OBI200 with voip.ms to replace my landline. I'd like to use my in-phone answering machine with my Panasonic DECT phone instead of voip.ms's voice mail, but when the machine starts playing it's greeting message, the caller is sent to the voip.ms voicemail (which is configured with a delay longer than that of the answering machine)

If I turn off the voip.ms voicemail, the call ends when the answering machine starts and the caller can't leave a message.

Is there a way to configure the OBI to recognize the answering machine?

drgeoff

No.

The phone when  in answering machine operation should not appear on the wires connecting it to the OBi as any different from when in normal conversation mode.

Does the phone play any tone(s) before or as part of its answerimg message?

MurrayB

I did not really delve into the settings for Voip.ms, I don't use their voicemail I also use a Dect6, be sure you change the routing for the DID away from voicemail.

Mango

I would check Status >> PHONE & LINE Status >> Phone Port Status, both while the answering machine is in operation, and while your phone is off-hook.  Is there any difference between the numbers in each of these situations?  Perhaps that would give you a clue as to what the problem is.

If no, I would then experiment with Physical Interfaces >> PHONE Port >> Timers and see if increasing them solves the problem.

graces_s

I seem to have somewhat resolved the issue, or at least established that it's not a problem with the OBI. Everything works fine if I set the ring count on the phone to <5 rings. voip.ms seems to end the call after 5 rings no matter what I set the ring time to for the DID.

Thanks for the help.

MurrayB

In the Voip.ms settings go to manage DIDS, pick your DID and go to edit settings, go down to ring time in seconds select a longer time, I have mine set for 60, then click the bar right under the time selection - apply dial time out for selected DIDs.

I hope this does it for you. Good Luck!

graces_s

I figured it out. The problem was that I had set up a ring group in voip.ms so my cell prone rings as well. The ring time needed to be configured for the device in the group settings. The main DID setting doesn't work in this context.

Thanks again.

MurrayB

I am glad you worked it out. My initial thought was ring groups but use of a cell with VM would preclude your use of the Dect6 answering machine. That led me to the ring time. I use ring groups for some of my DID with a cell phone and others with no ring group and the answering machine.

Voip.ms is very versatile and feature rich it is easy to forget some of our settings.