News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phonepower BYOD Info

Started by ceg3, July 10, 2016, 09:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceg3

Just had an interesting conversation with PP support.  With my Obi200 running out of warranty the 10.00/20.00 charge is looming.  It's not a big deal, but I was thinking it might be fun to BYOD another device with PP, maybe a Linksys.  They have a long list of approved devices.

What is interesting is that you wanted to use a device other than an OBi with your PP account that you set up through OBi for a reduced rate you can and you will keep your same rate.  You will just need to be able to log into the new devices web interface and enter SIP credentials.

It does provide more options for us.

KevKan

What 10.00/20.00 charge is looming?  Are you talking about the firmware update charge for out-of-warranty units?   If so, it has been documented many times in this forum how to manually update your unit firmware no charge.

drgeoff

Strictly speaking the charge is not for firmware updates. As per the wording on the Dashboard:

"Description: Extend your OBi device's warranty to a second full-year and receive premium technical support via email and phone, from Obihai's Help Desk experts"

ceg3

The point is not the charge.  The point of my post is that if for any reason you want another option this is one.  I'm well aware of how to get free updates.

SteveInWA

it might be fun to BYOD another device with PP, maybe a Linksys.

If that's your idea of "fun"....   ::) :P

This discussion doesn't really belong in this forum, given that it's about using non-Obihai products, or at minimum, it would go in the service provider section.  Nonetheless, it's nice to know that PP is being customer-friendly and device-agnostic in their pricing.  While there are several other choices for IP phone vendors, the retail ATA market is shrinking due to lack of interest/need.  Obihai is in a unique position as both a major ATA supplier to telcos and ITSPs at the wholesale level, and to Google Voice and the small audience of VoIP enthusiast users at the retail level.

Most of the products on PP's list are obsolete or NLA...not uncommon for the pure-play VoIP service providers (Callcentric also has an old, and not-maintained list).  PP bundles ATAs made by Innomedia, which doesn't sell to retail.  Grandstream is realistically the only competition at this point.  The Linksys stuff is all obsolete... remember, Linksys was bought by Cisco, then sold to Belkin, who couldn't care less about VoIP.

So, yah, a VoIP "hobbyist" might have fun with this...

ceg3

My point was just to show if there are people, who heaven forbid, have been loyal to Obihai, but just want to try something new it is interesting to know that PP will allow you to keep your Obihai rate, even if you start using another device.  I'm not likely at this point to do this, but knowledge is power and as good as an OBi is it isn't the only game in town.

The support guy said you are allowed to even use more than one device.  One could an OBi and the other could be a Grandstream, for example.

A new user at PP pays about 5.00 or more a month more than OBi BYOD customers.

Taoman

Quote from: ceg3 on July 11, 2016, 06:09:09 AM

The support guy said you are allowed to even use more than one device.  One could an OBi and the other could be a Grandstream, for example.

Unless things have changed, you can have 4 UAs simultaneously registered to your PP account regardless of client type. All registered UAs will ring on incoming calls and sub-accounts aren't used (or supported).