News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

MagicJackGo traditional setup vs Obiline connection to Obi 200 or 220.

Started by Dave781, July 17, 2016, 11:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave781

Hello:

I own a MagicJack Go.  This may sound like a stupid question but I would really like an answer.  What advantages does one have connecting the Magic Jack Go via the Obiline adapter vs plugging the MagicJack Go directly into my router?

Thank you for taking the time ...

SteveInWA

magicJack Go is basically a simple VoIP Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA), locked to the magicJack service provider, which comes with a telephone number and a year's worth of service.  It has to connect to the Internet, just like any other ATA.  OBi 20x devices are more powerful and complex ATAs, which can be provisioned (set up) with up to 4 service providers.  They also connect to the Internet.

You can't operate a magicJack Go without an internet connection.  Connecting it via OBiLINE adapter alone isn't going to make it work; the OBiLINE is a RJ-11 telephone line interface, not a network connection.  All the OBiLINE would do would be to allow you to access the OBi's calling services via the MJ, or vice-versa.

Whether or not you connect the two devices is up to you, and simply depends on whether you value the MJ enough to keep it in service.  Aside from whatever sunk cost you have on the MJ and its remaining months of service, there is no advantage to keeping it vs. just using an OBi.

Dave781

Your reply makes sense.  I should mention that I realize the obiline adapter is RJ11.  When I wrote this I either intended on using an RJ11 to RJ45 converter on the obiline or use  a usb to RJ 45 converter coming off usb port on the obi.  Thanks for being patient. Your thoughts?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Dave781 on July 18, 2016, 11:04:14 AM
Your reply makes sense.  I should mention that I realize the obiline adapter is RJ11.  When I wrote this I either intended on using an RJ11 to RJ45 converter on the obiline or use  a usb to RJ 45 converter coming off usb port on the obi.  Thanks for being patient. Your thoughts?

No, that won't work.  The RJ-11 connection is only a conventional land line (POTS) telephone connection.  You can't turn it into a network connection.  The USB ports on OBi devices are not network ports, either.  They only support their own branded WiFi or Bluetooth dongles, or the OBiLINE dongle, or a USB flash drive.

You cannot "network together" a magicJack and an OBi.  Just think of them as two independent VoIP products that have an Ethernet interface on one end, and a telephone (RJ-11) interface on the other end.  The only way you can connect them is by treating the MJ as a POTS telephone line, via OBiLINE.