News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 202-IP phone not ringing

Started by Wasatchpeaks, July 19, 2016, 11:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wasatchpeaks

Following a number of issues porting my phone number from Consumer Cellular to Google Voice (GV), and following many efforts to CC to port the existing cell phone number, it finally occurred.

Now the issue is getting my new IP home phone to ring.  It does not ring with incoming calls.  I've troubleshooted the following:

1.  Made sure ringer is on with new AT&T telephone (IP line).
2.  Reset the new phone AFTER  the GV port was completed (off/on),
3.  Reset Obihai Google Voice box AFTER the GV Port was ompleted (off/on),
4.  Checked GV to ensure my new IP number (formerly cell phone number) is listed there.
5.  Tried to ring this line numerous times from a cell phone and online phone ringing services.
6.  We do not or could not have a DSL line that could be interfering.
7.  Read many GV Help Forums and other searches to solve this problem, without resolving it.

Here is what is working correctly:
a.  I don't have my new cell phone number activated yet so this is an IP issue only.
b.  I can call out on the AT&T telephone (IP line).
c.  I do receive both text and voice messages via GV.

LTN1

Is this a question about using your IP phone with the OBi device itself? Are you plugging in your AT&T IP phone to your OBi device? I hope not--as the OBi device is made for analog devices.

Taoman

I had the same questions. What do you mean by "IP home phone?"

What do you mean by "IP number?" I know what an IP address is but not an IP number.

Are you talking about an IP telephone or an analog telephone?

Assuming you are talking about an analog telephone and it is plugged into your OBi and you can successfully make outgoing calls then I would check to make sure Google Chat is checked in your Google Voice settings to allow incoming calls.

Wasatchpeaks

Actually it is an AT&T analog phone. 

I've connected the AT&T analog phone to the Obi202 device per the installation guide.  I know the phone is working since I can call our but it will not ring for incoming calls.

SteveInWA

Go here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Add a check-mark to the left of Google Chat.

Note:  if you just received the congratulations note from Google about the port completing, it may take a bit longer for inbound calling to start working, while your number's new routing information is being broadcast out to the telephone network.

Wasatchpeaks

That worked.

I checked the box next to Google Chat and the phone rang.

Thank you so much for helping me solve this problem.