News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

incoming calls not ringring

Started by fanqi203, August 27, 2016, 08:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanqi203

I have a Obihai 202
The incoming calls can be received but the phone does not ring.

I followed the online instructions by forwarding the calls to "google chat" with a gmail.com email address. But it didn't help.

Could this be hardware problem???

drgeoff

Get hold of another phone and plug it into the other PHONE jack of the 202. Dialling a single # from either should ring the other one. Does it work? In both directions?

fanqi2033

It has only one phone jack.

Wait a second....

Sorry I checked it again, it is an Obihai 200, not 202, and it has only one phone jack.

And: when I test calling the Obihai 200 with my cellphone, I pick up the OBihai phone and it is connected and I can answer the call.

But the problem: Obihai 200 does not ring so I don't know when I have an incoming call. I am missing people's calls.

drgeoff

Has it ever worked?

Have you tried another phone or can you test the phone on a POTS line somewhere?

Ordinary phone or something super special or some cheap garbage?

Is the phone plugged directly into the OBi? No doubler/splitter, house wiring etc.

Do you see the PHONE LED on the OBi200 flashing when the phone should be ringing?

fanqi2033

Thanks for replying.

1) It has been working well until recently, when people asked why I was not answering their phone calls

2) I just bought a new AT&T phone and tested with it, no luck, same problem.

3) It's connected directly to Obihai.

4) The LED under the telephone icon (the 3rd LED) flashes when there is a incoming call. But no ring.

Jackson

I'm assuming you have power cycled it?  Basically unplugged the power lead for a bit.

SteveInWA

It's possible that the OBi's SLIC module is defective, but more likely is that you made some configuration change to the ring profile for that service provider.

The definitive test would be to restore the OBi to its factory defaults by picking up the attached phone, confirming you hear a dial tone, then keying in ***8 then 1 to confirm resetting it to factory defaults.  Wait plenty of time for the unit to reset and for the LEDs to stabilize (Left LED steady green, middle LED flickering to show internet connectivity).

At that point, you can reconfigure you can do drgeoff's test (plug a phone into each of the two phone jacks, press the # key on one phone's keypad, and the other should ring, and vice-versa.)

If it fails at that point, you have a defective OBi.