News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 - neither phone line seems to work

Started by bediddleby, July 29, 2016, 09:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bediddleby

My device is online and registered, shows up correctly in OBiTalk. Both phone LEDs are solid green. However, I get no dialtone and the *** commands don't work. To eliminate possible troubles with home wiring, I plugged an analog phone directly into both of the OBi's ports; same thing. When I try to get to it via the IP address, I get a "Requested URL not found", but I am able to ping it. I tried to change the settings via OBiTalk to do automated updates, but it's set for "Disabled" and won't let me change it. Also, the reset button on the bottom doesn't appear to do anything.

Is this thing toast?

SteveInWA

The OBiTALK dashboard status may be bogus (cached from earlier).

Try deleting the OBi off of your OBiTALK dashboard.  Disconnect the Ethernet and power cables from the OBi.  This is tricky, and may require a third hand:  while gently depressing the recessed reset button, plug in only the power plug.  Continue to hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds.  The left-most LED should start blinking.  Release the button and let it sit there undisturbed for a while.  It should factory-reset, do a bunch of blinking and then settle down.  An analog telephone plugged into the Phone 1 jack should give you a dial tone.  If it doesn't, the OBi is defective.  If it does, then unplug the power, attach the Ethernet cable, then attach the power plug, and let it reboot

Now, try to add it back to the OBiTALK portal, using the **5 xxxx method.  Does that work?

bediddleby

Thanks. I'm not sure what the **5 method is; I googled around and couldn't find the procedure. I don't think it matters, though. I did the reset, and it appears as you said, but after 10 minutes, the power LED just slowly blinks and I still don't have dial tone. Bummer... I think I only had this thing for about 2 years.

drgeoff

Quote from: bediddleby on July 31, 2016, 10:58:24 AM
Thanks. I'm not sure what the **5 method is; I googled around and couldn't find the procedure. I don't think it matters, though. I did the reset, and it appears as you said, but after 10 minutes, the power LED just slowly blinks and I still don't have dial tone. Bummer... I think I only had this thing for about 2 years.
1. Power LED flashing green? Check that you have the WAN or internet socket on the 202 connected to your router. Using the LAN socket instead will not work.

2.  Irrespective of the above, a powered up OBi should always give dial tone. Either the phone, the cord or the OBi is faulty.

3. The **5 procedure is how you register a device to the Obitalk portal so that it appears on the Dashboard. Instructions are in the Quick Start Guide supplied with every OBi or downloadable from obihai.com. However until you get dial tone on a phone you are stymied.

bediddleby

Quote1. Power LED flashing green? Check that you have the WAN or internet socket on the 202 connected to your router. Using the LAN socket instead will not work.
Definitely not in LAN. It's in Internet. That part was still working; only the phone connections were failing.

Quote2.  Irrespective of the above, a powered up OBi should always give dial tone. Either the phone, the cord or the OBi is faulty.
Dead silent on both ports at all times.

Quote3. The **5 procedure is how you register a device to the Obitalk portal so that it appears on the Dashboard. Instructions are in the Quick Start Guide supplied with every OBi or downloadable from obihai.com. However until you get dial tone on a phone you are stymied.
Thanks. I found the quick start online easily. I'm quite sure this adapter is defective and will need to set up a new one.

dircom

try a spare power supply, with the correct polarity/voltage